A Mistake

This one shot is a continuation of the Fallen Stars short!

Trigger/content warnings: check the first comment here. They include spoilers.

Please enjoy!

Comments are welcome and appreciated!

~~~~~

It had been five months since Dream, Blue, and Ink had been dubbed the "Fallen Stars" by their former colleagues. Dream had rarely been called by his name since he had begun to attack universes; most knew him now as Shattered. Nightmare, while working effortlessly to return things to the way they had been before, had proved himself to be a capable leader in times of chaos, and..times were very chaotic. Nightmare's gang had never killed more than two or three major resisters in the universes they had attacked for negativity spreading; the Fallen Stars made it a point to murder, maim, or torture any being they could find. Nightmare and his crew did what they could to stop them, but the state of the multiverse, while making Nightmare stronger, was also making Shattered stronger; despite Nightmare's centuries of combat experience, Shattered never seemed to truly lose battles, only resting for a day or two every once in a while to recharge.

Blue and Ink were much the same. The energetic swap Sans had always had more energy than most, and that had carried over into his erratic persona now. He was always full of energy, no matter what he did, said, or thought; no one could quite figure out the reason. As of late, however, his seemingly-ceaseless energy had begun to fail him - he was less and less willing each time he fought the gang, and in their last battle, he had nearly been defeated. Some were speculating that he was finally reaching his limit. As for the soulless artist, he had never run out of steam before, and he wasn't now. The only difference now was his lack of emotion. He rarely spoke, never smiled, and merely mindlessly obeyed the whims of his master; the search for his vials of emotion had been a failed endeavor. No one really blamed him for anything; they knew that the Ink they had grown so fond of wasn't there anymore. He was a husk.

"I'm tired.." Killer groaned, laying his skull in his arms. "Don't they ever know when to quit?"

"I am not sure." Nightmare sighed. "We must simply keep pace."

"Their pace is a bajillion times faster than we ever were!"

"We at least had the decency to wait a few days..." Horror scoffed.

"I know - it's taxing." Nightmare agreed. "But what else can we do?"

"Let them have a day..while we rest?" Dust suggested, half asleep in his chair.

"If I could change the past, I would, but I unfortunately got us into a mess that I cannot get us out of so easily. How are we doing?"

"I predict we're all gonna die." Fell stated. "We can't fight these people; it's like they're machines!"

"Actually, we have a fighting chance." Sci informed. "As long as we keep opposing them, we may have a chance of surviving long enough to do something."

"Speaking of doing something.." Nightmare tossed a pointed look in the direction of the scientist.

"It's..a work in progress. You can't rush things like this, you know! Reversing what I did is..much harder than actually doing it.."

"I suggest you return to your work, then. Boys, get some rest; you need it."

"You do, too." Cross said. "You've been up for a week, boss."

"I know my limits, Cross; I'll be fine."

"Nightmare, you nearly passed out a month ago from this same thing; you clearly don't know your limits!"

Nightmare sighed at Cross's comment. "All right, I'll sleep after you get some rest - how about that?"