Chapter 6: Winners!

——————————🕷️——————————

Wednesday woke up in front of Crackstone's Crypt, but it seemed darker and spookier than normal. There were no flags, and he was completely by himself. Or that's what he thought.

He turned and came face to face with a boy that looked just like him. Except this boy had blonde hair instead of black, and was wearing white clothes and held a book in his arms.

"You are the key." He said.

...

Wednesday's eyes shot open, and Bianca was standing above him with a smirk on her face.

"Taking a catnap?" She mocked as she grabbed her flag and ran off.

Wednesday glanced back at the crypt in suspicion, but couldn't dwell on what had just happened. He still had a race to finish.

He grabbed the flag and ran back to the canoe. The other two remaining boats had already left, so they needed to start catching up.

Luckily, the hole that Enid had clawed into Xavier's boat was filling their canoe up with water.

The teammates started to panic, as the Black Cats passed them.

"I just asked myself, WWWD. 'What Would Wednesday Do?'" Enid said.

...

Weems was watching the race with a pair of binoculars, and saw the final two boats remaining.

"The final two teams are the Gold Bugs...and the Black Cats." She announced, and the audience cheered.

...

The Black Cats were approaching Bianca's boat, and Wednesday reached down and flipped the second switch in their canoe, which extended three spears.

The team paddles closer to Bianca's canoe to sink it, when something bumped against their boat, and started pushing away.

The siren had escaped from the net, and was pushing them towards a buoy. The team tried to push against him, but it was no use.

That's when Thing jumped out of the canoe, and into the water. He swam towards the siren and punched him right in the face, knocking him unconscious.

The Black Cats managed to catch up to the Gold Bugs once again. They came up right next to them, and stabbed a hole in Bianca's canoe.

The boat quickly started filling up with water, and the Black Cats laughed as they paddled past them, leaving behind a frustrated and angry Bianca.

The team pulled back up to the docks, grabbed the flag, and crossed the finish line.

The whole school cheered, and Enid bounced excitedly. "OMG, Wednesday, we did it! This is the greatest moment of my entire life. Admit it, you kinda got into the whole school spirit thing."

Wednesday looked back towards the docks to see Bianca and her team struggling to climb back onto the docks.

"You didn't tell me it was a dark, vengeful spirit." He said with a smirk.

Suddenly, a body barreled into him, and he felt arms wrap around his waist. He looked down and saw that (Y/n) had hugged him. He awkwardly placed a hand on her back, and patted her.

The girl pulled away and looked at him with a smile. "Sorry, I know you don't like hugs, but I couldn't help myself."

Wednesday gazed at her. "Given the...special circumstances, I'll allow it just this once." He replied.

The two stared into each others eyes for a moment longer, before (Y/n) was pulled into a hug by Enid.

...

Wednesday, Enid, and (Y/n) stood next to Principal Weems in the quad preparing to receive the trophy for winning the Poe Cup.

Enid was standing with a huge grin on her face, and (Y/n) couldn't help but smile too. Wednesday just stood there with his usual monotone stare.

"The first Poe Cup took place in 1897 as a way to not only honor Nevermore's most famous alumni, but to celebrate those values that all outcasts share. Community, perseverance, and determination. And we certainly saw those values on display today."

Principal Weems picked up the trophy and handed it to Enid.

"Whoo!" She cheered, as she lifted it above her head. The whole quad cheered with her. Wednesday decided he had had enough of all the celebrating and walked off.

"Congratulations to Ophelia Hall! As a former resident, I will be happy to see the cup back on the mantle after all these years."

The quad cheered again, and (Y/n) noticed Wednesday leaving the quad, and followed after him.

...

Wednesday walked up to a statue of Edgar Allan Poe, holding a book in one arm, and had a raven sitting on his other arm. He sat at the base of it, closed his eyes and took a deep breath. All of the cheering and big groups of people had overwhelmed him a bit, and he needed a break.

He looked up at the statue, and noticed that the cover of the book Poe was holding had the symbol of the Nightshades on it.

"What are you doing down here?"

Wednesday's head snapped forward, and saw (Y/n) approaching him.

"Hiding." He answered. "People keep randomly smiling at me, it's unsettling."

(Y/n) chuckled. "It's called congratulating you. You just took down Bianca Barclay. Enjoy it. Enid wanted me to ask if you wanted to hang out with the team later."

Wednesday gave her a look, and she rolled her eyes. "Oh come on, it's not gonna kill you."

Wednesday paused before speaking. "I'll think about it."

(Y/n) smiled. "Good enough. By the way, I was very surprised and very impressed with the tweaks you and Thing did to the canoe. I'm glad you didn't tell me beforehand, otherwise the shocked look on Bianca's face wouldn't have been so satisfying."

Wednesday's mouth twitched upwards a little and his eyes followed the girl as she sat down with Enid and the other team members.

"It's good to see you fitting in." Weems said as she approached him. "Just like your mother."

"My mother and I are two different people/species/everything." Wednesday countered.

"The last time Ophelia Hall won the Poe Cup, your mother captained the team. I was her co-pilot. Maybe you two are more alike than you think."

Wednesday turned his head away from Weems to look at the happy faces of Enid and (Y/n), and the disappointed and begrudged faces of Bianca and her team.

Then he turned back to look at (Y/n). She really did look nice when she was happy.

——————————🕷️——————————