Chapter 7: The Real Truth

——————————🕷️——————————

Morticia stood in the middle of the Nightshade's library, looking up at the ceiling with her eyes closed. Reveling in the peace and quiet.

"Hello mother."

Until it was over.

Morticia turned and saw Wednesday and (Y/n) standing on the stairs that lead to the library. Wednesday was staring right at his mother while (Y/n) was looking around in fascination.

"Hello Wednesday." Morticia greeted quietly. "So you're a Nightshade. That didn't take long."

"Actually I rejected them." Wednesday corrected.

"Why didn't you tell me about this? This place is cool." (Y/n) whispered.

"I didn't tell you because I didn't think they were worth your time. Trust me, the Nightshades are nothing special." Wednesday whispered back.

"Why did you reject them? Because I was a member?" Morticia asked.

Wednesday and (Y/n) descended the rest of the stairs, and stepped into the library.

"I'll never live up to your legacy here, so why try? I win the Poe Cup, you claimed it four times. I join the fencing team, you captained it. Why would you send me somewhere where I could only ever exist in your shadow?"

"It's not a competition Wednesday." Morticia said softly.

"Everything is a competition, mother." Wednesday bit back. "But mostly I rejected them because they're a trivial social club."

"We used to be so much more. Our mission was to protect outcasts from harm and bigotry. In fact, the group was started by an ancestor of your father's from Mexico along with his wife. One of the first settlers in America." Morticia revealed.

"Gabriel and (C/n)." Wednesday realized. "I saw Gabriel's painting at Pilgrim World."

Morticia looked at him with slight suspicion. "Oh. How ironic since he was the one who killed Joseph Crackstone. The Nightshades were her secret, but deadly answer to his oppression."

Wednesday stared at his mother with slightly widened eyes at this new information.

"I know why you've come here, Wednesday. So go on. Ask."

Wednesday took a deep breath. "Father didn't kill Garrett Gates, did he?" He asked, even though he knew the answer.

"No."

...

A young Morticia stood on the second level of the quad watching Garrett and Gomez fight each other.

"By the time I made it up the stairs, I found your father fighting for his life. It was terrifying."

Garrett pushed Gomez back and punched him in the face.

"Garrett, no!" Morticia cried.

Gomez pushed Garrett off and he slammed his chest into a pillar. Garrett then growled, and tackled Gomez to the ground and punched him repeatedly.