Chapter 4: Faulkner's Diary

——————————🕷️——————————

Wednesday marched down to the quad and headed down the hallway that lead to the statue of Edgar Allan Poe. He raised his hand and snapped twice, and the statue moved back to reveal the secret passage. Wednesday entered the passage and went down the stairs into the library.

"Uncle Fester?" Wednesday called into the darkness.

To his right, Xavier appeared by the bookshelves.

"Who's Uncle Fester?" He asked.

"What are you doing here?" Wednesday demanded.

"Since I'm an actual Nightshade, I don't have to explain myself. What's your excuse for creeping around in the middle of the night?" Xavier asked with a bite in his voice.

"Research." Wednesday answered.

"On the monster? I'll save you some time. There's nothing in here matching that thing." Xavier reported.

Wednesday stared at him. "Isn't that convenient."

Wednesday turned to leave, but Xavier called after him.

"You know what your problem is?"

Wednesday rolled his eyes and turned around. "I would love to hear your piercing insight." He said sarcastically.

"You don't know who you're real friends are. I've been on your side since day one. I literally saved your life. And (Y/n)'s. I believed your theories when nobody else did. And what do I get in return? Just nothing but suspicion and lies." He ranted.

"Fine. You want honesty? Here it is. Every time the monster has attacked, you've been right there. Starting with Rowan at the Harvest Festival. Then on Outreach Day, you arrived at the meeting house just minutes after the monster disappeared, yet you say you didn't see it." Wednesday listed.

Xavier raised his hands defensively. "I didn't realize proximity was a crime."

"Then there's your drawing obsession. You have drawn the monster dozens of times, yet you've never seen it. Or so you claim. You even drew where it lived. Then when Eugene went to investigate, you tried to kill him so he wouldn't spill your secret."

Xavier took a couple of angry steps towards him. "You think I would hurt Eugene?" He asked incredulously.

"Let's not forget your oh-so-convenient appearance after Tyler had been attacked at the Gates mansion."

Xavier stepped even closer to him. "If I am the monster, then why haven't I killed you?"

"Because for some reason I cannot fathom or indulge, you seem to want to be my friend." Wednesday concluded.

Xavier scoffed. "Why would I want to be friends with someone who accuses me of being a monster?"

"Maybe to get close to (Y/n)? My girlfriend? That's the other issue I have with you. Setting aside all my suspicions about you being the monster, I know you like her. That stupid painting said it all." Wednesday spat.

"Hey, I'm not into her like that anymore!" Xavier defended. "We're just friends. And aren't you two having a fight?"

"We're past that now."