Chapter 4: Hit and Run

——————————🕷️——————————

Wednesday held his drawing in front of his face and brought it down to reveal the actual gate that lead to the Gates mansion.

"This is where Garrett Gates lived. The boy my father was accused of murdering."

Wednesday approached the gate and found it to be unlocked.

"The sheriff told me his family died, along with their legacy of hate."

Wednesday pushed the gate open and stepped onto the property.

"But ghosts don't kill the living. Gabriel showed me this house for a reason. I need to unlock its secrets, or die trying."

Wednesday approached the front door, and was about to open it, but as he peered through the tinted glass of the front doors, he noticed someone inside. And that someone was heading to the door.

Wednesday ducked out of sight just as Mayor Walker exited the house and locked it back up. He and Thing watched and followed the mayor as he walked to his car.

"I need a distraction." He told Thing.

Mayor Walker picked up his phone and called somebody. "Sheriff pick up your damn phone, it's Noble. Listen, I might have figured out who's behind all of this."

The mayor was interrupted by Thing flicking a pebble at him. He looked around for a moment and continued speaking.

"It's a long shot. I'm gonna have to lay it out for you. We'll do it over pie at the Weathervane, just like the old days. See you soon."

Wednesday snuck past the mayor to the back of his car, and opened the trunk and climbed in, Thing following after. Wednesday closed the trunk just as the mayor climbed in his car and drove off.

...

It was nighttime when the Mayor arrived and parked across the street from the Weathervane.  Sheriff Galpin was sitting in a booth by the window and saw him arrive and step out of his car.

From inside his car, Wednesday poked his head above the back seats and watched as the mayor started walking across the street to the cafe.

The mayor only made it about half way when a blue Cadillac came out of nowhere and ran into him.

Wednesday let out a surprised gasp.

"No!" Sheriff Galpin screamed, as he shot up from the booth and ran outside.

The mayor landed hard on the ground, and the car sped around the corner and drove off.

Wednesday climbed out of the car just as Sheriff Galpin ran out into the street.

"Noble!" The sheriff cried.

He knelt down beside his unconscious form and lifted his head. The sheriff looked around at the people who had witnessed the event.

"Call 911! Get an ambulance!" He demanded.

Wednesday walked towards the sheriff and the mayor and Sheriff Galpin looked up and saw him.