Chapter 8: Innocent After All

——————————🕷️——————————

Morticia, and Wednesday, stood in Mayor Walker's office, across from his desk where he sat.

"Thank you for seeing us on such short notice, Mr. Mayor." Morticia thanked.

"Yes, well, veiled threats have that effect." He replied sarcastically.

"Garrett Gates wasn't killed by a stab wound." Wednesday said, as he approached the desk. He laid the cloth with the finger on the desk, and the Mayor recoiled.

"That blue sheen, is a telltale sign of nightshade poisoning." Morticia told him.

"But you already knew that, didn't you. Because back when you were sheriff, you were in charge of the case and covered it up." Wednesday accused.

Mayor Walker took a deep breath. "Ansel Gates hated outcasts and Nevermore. He claimed the land the school was built on was stolen from his family over 200 years ago. Garrett went there that night to spike the punch and kill all the kids at that dance. Ansel confessed the whole thing to me in a drunken stupor. It was his idea."

"Why did you instruct Dr. Anwar to falsify the autopsy report?" He asked. "You knew the truth."

"Listen, my job was to keep the peace. Now, if there had been a trial, Jericho's and Nevermore's reputations would have been trashed." Mayor Walker explained.

"I think the only reputation you were worried about ruining was your own. I remember Garrett bragging to me that his father had the sheriff in his pocket. One year later, you get elected mayor. Hmm. No doubt with the full support of Ansel Gates." Morticia implied.

"I resent your implication." The Mayor snapped.

"What I resent is that you could have prevented Garrett's death if you had done your job when I lodged my complaint about him stalking me. But no. Men like you have no idea what it feels like not to be believed." She hissed.

Mayor Walker grew silent, fidgeting in his seat, and letting out a deep exhale. "What do you want?"

Wednesday and Morticia glanced at each other, before turning back to the mayor.

"All charges dropped." Morticia demanded.

"My father will be released immediately with a full and unequivocal apology from the sheriff's office." Wednesday added.

Mayor Walker didn't say anything for a moment.

"Do we have a deal?" Wednesday asked firmly.

...

Wednesday stood outside of the town hall and turned to his mother who was standing a few feet away. "You we're very impressive in there." He complimented.

Morticia smiled. "When did your visions begin?" She asked.

"A few months ago. Before I left for Nevermore." He answered.

"I'm sorry you didn't feel you could tell me. I know we've had our difficulties lately. Navigating the treacherous shoals of our mother-son relationship. But I'm always here for you Wednesday. Always." She promised.