15.

I threw my sleeping bag into the back, of the jeep. I smiled excitedly, ready for this trip, as my dad loaded the tents and the fishing gear.

We were heading to the lake, that was just up the mountain, for a few days. Andy was blowing up my phone, asking where I was going. She had been gone now for a few weeks. I was getting used to not having her around, we would skype every night to talk about how our days went, and to catch up.

She seemed happy to be there, and she had made a few friends already. I wouldn't be able to talk to her for a few days.

Hey, babe, I just want you to know that we are loading up and leaving. I love you! Have a good few days without me. DON'T TALK TO ANY STRANGE GIRLS.

I sent the text quickly, and tossed my phone in my back pocket. I pulled my hoodie over my head, my beanie covering my ears.

There was a slight drizzle, and next week a storm is going to hit, which is why my dad planned this for this weekend to go.

He walked out of the house, locking the door, and tossing the last few things in the car.

"You ready, kid?" He said with a big smile spread across his face. I hadn't seen him this happy in awhile. It was a new look for him, and I liked it. In the sunlight his obvious gray hairs shown, his eyes seemed lighter though, more relaxed his tired wrinkles.

We got into his jeep, I soaked in the familiar musky scent, I was almost jumping up and down excitedly, in the seat. We hadn't gone anywhere since my 7th grade year.

He needs this, hell, we both do.

It was about an hour drive from home, and so we buckled down, blaring music, and just singing.

We didn't really talk, but it was a comfortable drive. When we pulled up to the lake, we found a spot quickly, and set up camp. More or less, my dad set up the camp, I couldn't figure out the tent.

"Cam, could you get some fire wood, try and find some that is dry." He patted my back with a content smile.

I walked down the dirt path to the line of trees. Letting my mind wonder to Andy. I didn't miss her as much as I thought I would, and I was getting over being lonely. I started hanging out with Michelle, who was pretty cool, and really good friends with Andy and I.

I walked down the path a little ways more into the trees, where the wood was dry. I caught myself thinking of Nicole. How last week, she had been totally normal, not like she was hitting on me, but polite flirthing. I can say that I loved it a lot more. I had only stayed to help her grade papers a few time. I could still smell her perfume, it gave me butterflies just thinking about it.

I shook my head trying to think straight, and get her out of my head. I was trying to get away from all of that, so I needed to stop thinking about her, and Andy, and all of these feelings. I pushed them back down into my chest planning to ignore them for the next few days.

I picked out a few of the driest pieces of wood I could find. I trunged back to the camp tossing the wood near the small fire pit my dad made with rocks. He smiled proudly at it, "I'm awesome."

I punched him gently, "You're lame."

We both chuckled lighty, "Well, should we start fishin'? He held out my pole to me, and started bating his hook. I hadn't done this in years.

"So, um," I scratched the back of my neck, "I totally forgot how to do this." I sadly handed my fishing pole to my dad who only chuckled.

His whole demeanor had changed, and it was for the better. I hadn't seen him really smile like this in a long time. Not really, ever.

"Dad..." I trailed off. He handed the pole back to me. I haven't asked him in a long time, but I wondered, always, "Why did mom leave?"

When I came out to be lesbian, I tried to play it off as mommy issues. Pretending that was why I like girls, because she left. Feeling ashamed of myself, because I wasn't normal. Though once I had grown up I realised it was completely different. Maybe it was because I didn't grow up with a feminine woman in my life. I think I turned out okay though.

"Honey," My dad looked out over the lake, looking like the question had hurt him. "She was a different type of woman," I could tell he was struggling to find words to say. "She wasn't ready to start a family, she was afraid. She figured you and I would have a better chance without her." He smiled weakly at me.

"Why didn't you ever find some one else?" I cast my line out into the water, and he did too.

He sat quietly for a moment, pondering on why he didn't find another woman. He just shrugged after a few moments, "You were the only girl I needed in my life."

I blushed, and laughed, "Thanks, dad." I reached over and socked his arm, "you're too sweet."

He laughed, and we continued to fish. He turned on the radio, and we listenend to relaxing songs, and sang to some of the ones we bother knew.

The day had gone by quickly, and the temperature was dropping so we sat around the fire, he opened the ice chest, and tossed me a beer.

"What?" I looked at the beer in my lap.

"I would like to have a beer with my loving daughter on this beautiful night, and this wonderful memory." He smiled, and we both opened a beer, clinking the cans together. I knew i had a huge, goofy smile spread over my face.

"I'm glad we came out here. I've missed you." I know i saw him almost everyday, but I missed him like this, and he knew what I meant. I sipped on the beer, looking into the fire. He did the same. My stomach growling,

"Want to start cooking dinner?" He handed my a stick with a weenie on it. I stuck it in the fire and he did the same with his.

The smell of campfire filled the air, we both sat in our chairs, looking up at the stars. There were so many, it's amazing once you get away from reality, all of the beauty is visible, not clouded from the emotions, and drama.

The sun was completely down, and we crwled into the tent, I curled up into the sleeping bag, and my dad curled up into his.

"Goodnight, Kid."

"Night," We both fell asleep, trying to stay bundled up, preparing for the next day.