25.

I didn't want to go back to school. Not until I could walk, at least. My dad understood, so he had it arranged in the office. For the next two weeks I was free.

I wanted to avoid everything, and everyone. I wanted to get these damn itchy casts off. I just wanted things to be normal. I felt lonely. I didn't have anybody, Andy refused to talk to me, and I was avoiding Nicole.

I head the doorbell ring, I got up slowly, and hobbled over. "Hey," My eyes opened wide, then squinted in confusion.

"Joe?" I looked around. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to bring you the work from math. Ms. Ryan asked if somebody could bring it, and I volunteered."

Why would he volnteer, and obviously Nicole was avoiding me too.
"Well, thank you." I started to hobble back to the couch, and I sat down. "Do you want anything to drink? Or something?" I pointed to the kitchen, "Help yourself." He sat the papers down on the counter, and grabbed a water from the fridge.

"So how are you feeling?" He plopped down next to me.

This was beyond weird. I was oddly comfortable with him being here.
"Oh, um, well I've been better, but honestly, I just can't wait to get this shit off of me. It itches."

He chuckled, "Yeah, been there done that. I know you're pain. You get it off soon though right?"

I nodded, and he smiled.

"So how come you volunteered to bring my stuff, I though you didn't like me."

He shrugged, "I guess I got a soft spot for you. I am smarter than you are though." He looked at me seriously for a second, then a playful smile played across his face. He pushed my shoulder gently. "I'm joking. I have mad respect for you and your smarts."

I shrugged shyly, "Thanks," I played with my hand in my lap.

I couldn't shake this weird feeling, that this was normal. Like we could become the best of friends.

"Well, i better get going." He patted my shoulder. "I'll see you in a few days after you get your casts off?"

I nodded, "Yeah, I'll be back Monday." It was currently Thursday. I would get theses stupid infuriating things off me this weekend.

Joe left, and I sat on the couch processing what just happened. I think I just made a new friend. Hopefully. I guess he seemed like an alright guy. I mean besides the stupid little bickering arguments that we would get into. It seems like maybe it would work out.

************************************

I sat on the hospital bed. The doctor was chekcin my xrays to make sure everything was okay.

The door opened, and he walked in with his lab coat on. "Well, it looks like everything is okay. I would take it easy though, especially with your hip. It's going to be weak, so no heavy lifting for about a week, and easy exercise. If you must do it."

I nodded, "Sounds easy enough," i couldn't wait to be able to move regularly again. I sat there as he began taking my casts off. I smiled excitedly when the air hit my arm.

My arm looked gross, but it would turn back to normal with time. He finished taking my casts off, and my dad was taking care of all of the paperwork. Luckily the guy that hit me agreed to pay for everything instead of taking him to court. I'm just glad that didn't put a strain on my dad. He has gone through enough.

I slowly slid off the chair to my feet. Putting pressure on my leg, feeling it holding my weight felt amazing, it was weak though. So the doctor was right, i would have to take it slow. I limped out of the office, trying to find me dad. It was a weird feeling having my leg and arm back. It was fantastic.