16.

I woke up the next morning, feeling stiff from sleeping on the ground. Groaning as I stretched. I slowly crawled out of the tent noticing my dad was already awake. I wrapped a blanket around my shoulders, and exited the tent.

"Good, you're awake. I made coffee." He poured some into a styrofoam cup. I gripped it tightly welcoming its warmth.

"Thanks." I sat in the chair, and looked out over the lake. The sun was barely coming up, it was a surreal moment. Being out in the brisk morning, sipping coffe, with a beautiful view.

I rested my lips in the rim of the cup feeling the steam from the coffee hit my face.

"It's cold out today. Maybe that storm is coming sooner than planned." He looked sort of worried, "We can go for a hike really quick, but I don't want to get stuck up where when it hits." He looked at me, "So we should pack up this morning, hike, and then head on back home."

He didn't look happy saying it, but we both knew he was right. I didn't want to get stuck up here, it was already cold. He blew out a breath, and looking out over the lake. His had jeans on, with boots, and a light tan double layered jacket. I threw my hair in a ponytail, getting ready to pack stuff up.

*****************************************

We went for a hike up the trail, there wasn't really much to see, but the exercise was nice. Feeling my tight muscles loosening up as the walk went on. I leaned against a tree stump out of breath. My dad behind me.

"We should start heading down now, Kid." A huge gust of wind blew almost knocking me over. I nodded, and we tried to hurry back down to the jeep and head home.

When we reached the campsite, the wind was blowin really hard. I pulled on the door and it swung open, out of my control.

I hopped in the seat, tugging on the door until it finally shut. We had an hour drive, we should be okay as long as we were careful, which I knew we would be.

My dad hopped in, and hurried down the road, "Man, this storm is coming in fast." He said observing the sky, "It's probably worse because we are up so high, when we get back home, it shouldn't be this bad."

He was right, once we got further down the mountain the wind had stopped blowing so bad, and it was only drizzling. I relaxed my arms at my side, knowing we had made it okay.

"Do you think we will get a lot of snow?"

My dad shrugged, "Probably, we normally do this time of year." He turned up the radio to listen to some quiet music.

I looked out the window at the trees, watching them pass by. We reached our town, and went straight home.
"Let's get all of this stuff out, and then we can get something to eat. I'm starving."

We quickly threw everything into the garage, and jumped back into the jeep.

"Hey, I'm sorry this didn't last as long as we had hope." He said looking over at me.

"Don't worry about it, I would rather be home then dead." I smiled at him. He smiled back, looking somewhat relieved that I wasn't too upset. He drove down the road, heading to the small cafe we used to always eat at.

I pulled out my phone, texting Andy: Hey babe, the storm hit sooner than planned. So I'm home.

Not even a minute later, she replied: Oh, good. I missed you.

We can facetime tonight? I asked.

She only sent back a smiley face emoji, which I knew was a yes. I smiled widly, almost excited to get to talk to her.

We got out of the car, and walked into the cafe. It was warm, and smelled of coffee and toast. I inhaled, feeling my stomach growling, but the clanking of plates and cups drowned it out. We found a table by the window. It was around 10 a.m. many people had already had their breakfast. So it wasn't too crowded. We both ordered coffee, and an egg and cheese omlette.

We were sitting and talking for a few minutes. My dad stared out the window deep in thought. I looked up from my coffee, to see Nicole sitting behind my dad facing me. She was having breakfast by herself? Did she know I was here? I met her gaze, and she smiled blushing down at her menu. I quickly looked back down at my coffee, my dad started talking about something. I tuned him out. I knew he was going on about work, which I never really understood anyways.

I was nervous though, I could feel her eyes on me. That was all that was on my mind. I knew she was looking at me. Did I look okay? I didn't have any make up on. My hair was in a messy pony tail. Oh, no. Be cool, Cameron. Calm down.

I tuned my dad back in trying to ignore her glances. "So, will you have to work even if it snows?" I asked my dad, looking over his shoulder at Nicole. She bit her lip lightly, making my stomach flop.

"Yeah," He sighed, "It's going to suck too. It will be so cold."

Our food came to the table, I was grateful for the distraction. I glanced up at her, she was looking out the window, giving me a chance to take her in. She looked tired, like she hadn't been sleeping, or something was stressing her out. She had a pucker in her brow, that I had never seen before. She wore her hair up in a ponytail, she only had sweats on, and very little make-up. She still looked as beautiful as she always did. I took a bite of food, feeling it hit my empty stomach. I almost couldn't tear my eyes away from her. Like I was chewing at her longingly. Thank goodness for my Dad.

"Oh, I forgot how good this place was." He smiled at me with his cheeks full, which caught my attention. I giggled at him. It was nice to see him lighten up this weekend even if it was cut short. We ate in silence, for the remainder of the time. Nicole and I sharing small glances like we always did. The kind that only we knew about, and were held longer then they should be.

I sipped what was left of my coffee, and I stood, "I have to pee. I'll be right back." My dad nodded, and dismissed me, sipping his coffee. I almost wished Nicole would follow me, but I almost wish she wouldn't because I had nothing to say to her really. What would I say if she did follow me.

I opened the bathroom door, and entered into a stall. Shortly someone else walked in. I did what I had to do, trying to get out quickly. I flushed, and pulled my jeans up, and opened the stall. I started washing my hands, when she turned on the sink next to mine. "How was your trip?"

I nodded, "It was okay." I felt my heart race, and my stomach drop. I began to dry my hands, I turned to face her, searching her face, "Are you okay?"

I knew we were standing close, which only made her face more noticable. She looked exhausted, and her eyes were red. She didn't want to make eye contact with me, but I saw her lip quiver.

Instinctively I reached out, touching her arm, "Nicole, what is it?" My hand felt like it was on fire, and I tried to ignore it, hoping it was comforting her in some way. She wrapped her arms around my neck, taking me by surprise, "Oh," I let out, awkwardly holding her. I had never actually been this close to her. I've never touched her this way. I patted her back, consoling her.

"I'm sorry, I don't want you to see me like this." She shook her head, as it was burried into my neck.

"It's okay,"I said gently. I rubbed her back growing more comfortable with her presence. As much as I liked having her clinging onto me, I didn't like that she was crying. "Let me go tell my dad that I will be home a little later, okay?" I pulled away from her, looking into her eyes. I wiped her cheek off, not really realizing how intimate it was. She looked in my eyes, my hand still on her cheek. "I'll be right back," the words barely escaping my lips, as my eyes fell down to hers.

No, it wasn't right. Especially not when she had been crying. She nodded into my hand, and wiped her eyes, accepting my offer of staying with her.

I headed back to my dad, "Hey, would it be okay if you headed back home on your own? My, uh, friend, needs someone to talk to right now, and I just need to be there for her right now." I scratched the back of my neck looking at him.

"I'm glad I raised you right, Kid." He smiled, and got up, "Call me if you need a ride home." He patted my shoulder as he walked by back to the jeep.

I turned around to see Nicole, sitting at her table. I sat across from her, looking into her eyes, "What happened?"

Forever Isn't As Long (lesbian story)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें