Picture Day

"So apparently James walked in on you and Alex having sex," Zack told me while piling food on his lunch tray.

My jaw dropped, "James said that?"

He shrugged, "Somebody said that."

"There's no way anybody's going to believe that though. Everyone knows Alex and I are just friends," I shook my head. Just as I said it Alex came running up behind me and cut me on line. "Hey!" I exclaimed.

"I'm hiding from that girl, Clara," he told me while grabbing a tray and starting to collect his food. He glance back at me, "You're only getting an apple?"

I held up my soda and shook it ever so slightly, "And a soda."

He rolled his eyes and put a slice of pizza and chips on my tray.

"I can feed myself," I crossed my arms until we had to move down the line to the cashier.

He scoffed, "Apparently not."

"I can take care of myself. I don't need your supervisition," I told him.

"Whatever you need to tell yourself," he laughed and went to pay, "I've got you." He handed over the money for both mine and his lunch.

I scowled, "You don't have to pay for me, you know."

We started walking back to our table where Jack and Rian waited. He rolled his eyes at me, "You're welcome, babe."

"Don't call me babe," I said and sat across from Rian.

Alex slid in next to me and stole my apple. I frowned, "Really? That was the one thing on the tray that I wanted."

"I know," he smiled, "now you have to eat what I picked."

I rolled my eyes and took an aggressive bite out of my pizza. I stared him down while I chewed. He looked estatic that I was eating the stupid pizza. He passed the apple onto Rian who quickly threw it in the trash.

"Wha- I wanted that," I groaned.

 "You're too skinny anyway, so just eat it and be happy," he told me.

I looked down at myself. I thought I was perfectly fine looking. Long brown hair, brown eyes, my body was fine in my opinion at least. It wasn't so much that I didn't want to eat. I was just too nervous to eat. It was picture day and I vowed I'd get at least my senior class picture to look great if it was the last thing I do. I had a history of sucky school photos and I was done with it. The braces, off timing, and bad haircuts had not been my friends.

"Give her a break," Jack said, "She's nervous for picture day." He mad an ugly face at me and the guys laughed.

"Look, I'm getting a good photo this year if it's the last thing I do," I declared.