Ride Home

We all walked out of the resturant to our cars. Turned out Alex and I had parked right next to each other. We walked back awkwardly with Trish blabbing at Alex's side. I got into my car before them and turned the key. The car stalled.

"Shit, shit, shit, don't do this to me," I muttered and turned the key desperately trying to get my car to work, but it didn't. I got out and slammed the door behind me. "Fuck."

Trish rolled her window on Alex's passenger seat down. She gave me a friendly smile, "Need a ride?"

"Well, I-I don't know." I sighed, I needed a stinking ride home and we all knew it. "It's up to Alex really."

Trish turned to stare at him while I sneakily peaked from under my eyelashes. I saw Alex nodded. He laughed awkwardly, "I can't leave you without a ride, can I?" It sounded like he was actually asking.

I went for his backseat, but Trish popped out of the front.

"No," She insisted, "You take the front. You guys probably have a lot of catching up to do."

I frowned, but didn't protested since she's the one who's forcing Alex to drive me home after all. I mumbled a thank you and buckled into the passanger seat.

The drive home was uncomfortable and the silence was only disrupted when Trish broke out into random spurts of celebrity gossip. We'd just about gotten to my house when Trish asked, "So I never got the chance to ask at dinner, how did you all meet?"

I gulped and Alex and I exchanged glances. "We met everyone else in middle school," I tried to avoid the actual question, which was about  Alex and me not everyone else.

"And you two?" Trish asked.

Alex sighed, "Our mom's put us in the same pre-K and I got her bully to back off."

"He kept pulling my pigtails and Alex yelled at him," I stared at Alex longingly and teared up. It was stupid, but I was touched he still remembered it. We were twenty one and he still cared how met all those years ago.

"Aw, that's my Alex!" Trish exclaimed and leaned up to kiss his cheek.

I scowled, "I guess I should go in now." I opened my door to get out.

"Ill walk you in!" Alex exclaimed and we walked side by side to my front door. We stopped to face each other once when reached my door step.

"So this is where you live, huh?" he asked while biting his bottom lip. I nodded and he looked down the block then back to me with a smile, "A block down from me and Zack."

I raised an eyebrow and did a light laugh, "Figures."

"We always said we'd live together," he smiled with rememberance.

"Yeah, but you're living with Zack and I have Sophie. It turned out okay." I took a step closer to him.

"So you're not married with kids and I don't have a model girlfriend. Guess you were wrong," he smiled and grabbed my hand to fiddle with our fingers.

"Trish..."

"Isn't my girlfriend," he finished, "She's a friend."

"Uh-huh," I nodded just barely moving my lips or my head.

We'd been growing unconciously close together. Our lips were mere centimeters apart so that I could taste the mint in his breath. Their was a loud honk and I jumped back a foot.

"Alex, come on!" Trish called.

"Bye," I said quickly before anything could happen. I couldn't let myself feel something for Alex again. Last time I was hurt so badly I ended up losing all of my best friends because I just couldn't be around him.

"Bye?" Alex whispered.

I went into my house and shut the door tightly behind me instead of answering. I slid down the door and place my head in my hands.

"Hey," Sophie bounced down the steps with a smile. "How was the dinner?"

A/N: Alex and Jules were so close! DO you still want them to get together? Comment, vote, and fan!