Gambling

A/N: sorry, sorry, sorry for the lack of updating! Don't kill me please!

After my awkward plane ride with Alex sharing a room only intensified the situation. We hadn't even been in Vegas for more than a day and the nights were already too uncomfortable to sleep with the other person in a bed over.  

"Are you awake?" Alex whispered.  

I nodded and whispered back, "Yeah." 

I heard Alex shift in his bed to face me and I did the same in my own bed. 

"How was shopping with Ally?"  

I smiled and shrugged, "You know Ally. She'll make me buy slutty clothes I'll probably never wear." 

"Probably?" he raised an eyebrow.  

I blushed and prayed he couldn't see it. Why'd I have to say probably? "You know," I stammered, "Maybe in front of my boyfriend or something..." 

"I thought you didn't have a boyfriend," he furrowed his eyebrows in confused.  

"Thank you for reminding me I'm alone. Future boyfriend." I corrected with a sigh.  

He shook his head, "You're not alone. Single, but not alone. Look at all the people who flew a three hour plane ride to celebrate your birthday with you." 

I smiled jokingly, "All the people that I haven't seen in three years." 

He cracked and smiled and sighed, "Whoa, three years."  

"Yeah," I whispered back. I didn't want to cry or admit how much I missed Alex.  

"That's a long time," he pondered out loud.  

"Yeah," I repeated, "I liked your new album." 

He beamed with pride and excitement, "You listened to it." 

"I have all your albums," I confessed, "Don't Panic's probably my favorite." 

"I'm honored," he goofed and I laughed then shivered. I missed his genuine smile. "Are you cold?" 

"Kind of," I lied so I didn't have to confess what he could make my body do without trying.  

He stood up and walked slowly over to my bed. He slid under the covers with me and wrapped me up in his warm arms pressing me against his hot- in both senses of the word- body. I shivered again. He kissed my forehead like we were seventeen again. I curled up into him and fell asleep with calm breathing and a happy smile.  

The next morning after breakfast the group wandered around the casino. Alex and I hadn't mentioned our cuddling or how good it felt just to be next to each other again.  

I sat down at the slots and Ally sat by the machine next to me.  

"So," she began, "how was last night with Alex?" 

"I don't know what you're talking about," I answered honestly. I didn't think she was talking about our cuddling.  

"Did you two talk?" 

"Yeah. We're living together for the next week. We're bound to talk eventually," I deflected.  

"I meant about your little drop off the face of the Earth thing," she looked me dead in the face. She wasn't having any of my bull.  

I narrowed my eyes, "The rest of you totally could've kept in contact. It's not like I changed my number or anything."  

"Ah-ha!" she exclaimed like she'd just discovered a big secret, "The rest of you! What happened between you and Alex?"