Chapter One

If you would've told me ten years ago today that my future would've turned into this, I would've never believed you. Life has taken a weird turn after Junior year. But hey I had to make good money somehow! I look into the mirror. I had put my hair up into a bun to prevent the risks of it getting in the way. My job isn't the easiest as is, let alone when your hair gets in the way. I remove the mask covering my mouth, the bottom half of my face has always been one of my bad features. I kind of hate how my life turned out. Mom probably would've been disappointed in me.

Snap out of it! You're Kira Valentine and you have to clean up. I begin to wash my hands. It takes a whole lot of scrubbing to get this mess off. Fuck! I never get used to the heat of the water. But it's a requirement. After finishing up I finally let my hair down. It flows down in a flutter like manner. There's certain sections of my hair that always appeared a lighter brown than the rest. Quite frankly I've never understood it.

Oh shit! I completely forgot, me and Jaylynn had plans. I promised her I would hang out with her today because I had to keep blowing her off. I feel bad but I gotta make money to pay for shit somehow. I pull out my phone. I just got a brand new Samsung! It's dark blue and personally it's my favorite phone so far. Close to everyone around me has an Iphone though so they consider Androids weird. But it's not their phone so they really shouldn't care.

*8 new messages*
*2 missed calls*

Ah fuck, I'm sorry Jaylynn..

Jay:Krayy we still on for tonight?

Jay:Heyy Krayyyy

Jay:Kray I miss you

Jay:Kira?

Jay:Kira I'm really worried about you.

*1 missed call from Jay*

Jay:Kira look it's fine if you're busy, just text me something so I know you're okay...

Jay:Kira are you okay?

*1 missed call from Jay*

Jay:Kira answer me as soon as possible please!

Awh stop I feel really bad. She didn't even care if I was busy she just wanted to know if I was okay. Fuck this is the hardest part of having such a difficult job. I have to make it up to her!

Me: Jaylynn I'm so so sorry! I hope you didn't fall asleep worried... I got caught up in work, they needed me to stay overtime. I promise I'll make it up to you. Say tomorrow 2pm?

I listen to music for a few hours. I absolutely adore Ariana Grande. Most people think I wouldn't be the type to listen to her music. But it's hard not too, her voice is just so soothing and gentle yet so powerful at the same time! It hits close 11:30pm and I'm actually a little tired for once. I decided it's probably best if I try and get some rest, who knows what tomorrow is going to bring. I turn on my fan, because well who sleeps without a fan. I make sure to plug my phone in before I grab my favorite blanket, which is a very soft texture. It's black and blue my two most favorite colors! It's the perfect thickness so I don't get too hot or too cold with it on. I turn on my side and before I know I'm fast asleep.

*The next morning*

I yawn, pretty loudly at that. I check my color changing digital clock. As soon as I look at the time it immediately strikes 11:30am. I'm up about thirty minutes early. I reach over on my glass side table and immediately grab my phone.

*2 new text messages*

I immediately check who messaged me and of course it was who I suspected.

Jay:Hey! You don't know how glad I am to hear you're safe. You worried the hell out of me dumbass. But don't beat yourself up for it, work can get complicated sometimes.

Jay:Oh and btw, 2pm is great! See you soon<3

She's so considerate I think it's impossible to piss her off at this point. I've known her ever since we was little kids. It all started when we was at recess. Some dude had knocked her over when playing tag. She looked like she fell pretty hard and thankfully I was coming down the slide. I went over to her and helped her up. I still remember what she said to this day.

Young Jay:Thanks for helping me up, uhh whatever your name is. Boys are crazy no wonder they have cooties!

Young Me: No problem, the names Kira! Never fear I won't let some silly boy hurt you again!

We giggled for minutes, and after that we just became closer. She ended up riding my bus and I didn't even know it!

Me:Sounds good! See you then:)

I acknowledged the fact that I should probably get ready considering the fact that I had only 2hrs and 30 minutes to get ready. I hop in the shower. The water feels nice against my skin. It's a kind of warmth that you can only feel from certain things in life. I finish up in the shower and of course the coldness of the air hits me right when I get out of the shower. I decided I wanted to wear my grey skull sweatpants and my light blue monarch butterfly t-shirt. Jaylynn knows I'm not one to dress up all fancy so I'm not too worried. I tidy up my room a bit. I come across some old love letters. I immediately threw them away with no hesitation. I make my bed as neatly as possible. Then the burning sensation in my throat hits. I haven't drank anything all morning.

I check the clock, it's 1:15pm. I go into the kitchen and open the grey fridge. The model is Frigidaire with French doors. I only know this because I was the one who ended up installing it. I grab my favorite Lilo and Stich cup and begin to fill it with apple juice. Only then do I remember how quiet it is in my house. But where in the hell is my brother? He's always out at night. The only reason I know is because I can see his stupid car lights shining through my windows. I absolutely hate when he tries to show off though. Like dude knock it the fuck off you're just being obnoxious. No one wants to hear you revving your car at 8 in the morning. Plus his garage is normally always open. We decided to get a place right next to eachother because we never know when we'll need one another. I hate him to death sometimes but I will say he's pretty damn considerate.

It's only 1:30pm so I figured I could read while I wait for Jaylynn to arrive. I don't necessarily know what I want to read though. I end up giving up on finding a book to read. Due to my job, I haven't had time to update my book collection. Im constantly busy so the little bit of free time I have at the moment is unsettling. I turn on the TV and watch The Fresh Prince of Bellaire. Not too long after I hear a chime from my phone.

*1 new message*

Jay:Hey girl I got stuck in traffic, I'm currently behind farm equipment. I should be there around 2:30pm!

Me: Alrighty sounds good! Be safe Jay.

I get the random craving of having pancakes. I end up making some pancakes. But not just any pancakes, they're my mom's recipe. I added chocolate chips to it because why not. After I get done eating the chocolate chip pancakes I made, I wash the dishes. By the time I finish the dishes it's already 2:20pm. I scurry into the bathroom and brush my teeth in one of the double sinks. The lighting in this house is remarkable. I rebrush my hair to make sure is as close to perfection as possible. I absolutely love how soft my hair is. I make the decision of opening the blinds around the house and gosh is it bright. 2:30pm hits and Jaylynn still hasn't arrived. I hope she makes it okay. Oh so this is how she felt when I wouldn't answer. No wonder she was so worried. I wait a few minutes but she still hasn't arrived. It hits 2:41pm and I finally decided I should probably check up on her.

Me: Jaylynn are you alright? I'm just checking in, I'm worried.

Just as the text sends I hear the sound of a car pulling into my driveway. I look out the window and sure enough it's her. She pulled up in her grey Honda Accord. I always loved the car, it's so comfortable on the inside. Let's just say she's pretty well off when it comes to the money side. Her mom and dad literally adore the fucking life outta her. I quickly make my way to go unlock the door. I hear the sound of a car door as I'm opening the front door. As soon as I open the door guess who I see getting out of the car. Maverick Valentine.