Blood and Water

You wake, completely sprawled out across the bed, and alone. You untangle yourself from the mess of covers and sit up- your heart skipping a beat when you see your spotless room. Before Loki left, he must've tidied up your quarters, and used his magic to fix your broken mirror and bedpost.

I need to find him.

You spring from your bed with more vigor than you thought possible after last night, taking mere moments to rake a brush through your hair and put on a dress before bounding out of the door.

Well, you nearly bound out of your door, but instead you slam against the stone-like chest of an einherjar who is just on the other side.

"My greatest apologies, my lady!" He announces in a far more startled tone than someone of his rank usually speaks. "I am here to deliver you a letter."

"Who from?" You raise a single eyebrow as you brush off the skirt of your dress in an attempt at composing yourself after the unexpected impact.

"Was just told to deliver it Ma'am, I know nothing else. I'll be on my way." He hands you the letter and scurries away, more shaken by your collision than you'd expect.

You shrug it off and open up the mysterious letter.

My dearest sister,

Mother and father told me the news of Prince Aster's courtship; what an incredible honor! I so wish I could accompany them today to see you, but I must confess- I have not been well. The pregnancy has been making me rather sick of late, and upon running some tests, we've discovered that my husband and I both carry a recessive gene that will make it nearly impossible for me to carry full term. I'd like to simply deny the test results as some sort of fluke, but six months ago I suffered a miscarriage early into a pregnancy that I've kept secret. I so desperately wish to make mother and father proud, that I cannot bear to tell them it may be impossible for me to continue our lineage. I know that you fear disappointing our parents just as much as I, and so I felt compelled to write you and to ensure this letter arrived as quickly as possible. If you return home today, I pray that you do it on your own terms.

I love you endlessly,
Hnoss

The back of your throat catches fire as you fold the letter closed. Your sister had suffered through a miscarriage that she didn't tell anyone about. An ache deep in the pit of your stomach nearly causes you to double over as you realize that her current pregnancy may be doomed to the same fate due to an unknown genetic predisposition that she and Kvasir share. Through all of her own pain and struggles, she'd taken the time to write to you, not to tell you of her own troubles, but to ensure her little sister was not making life-altering decisions purely to please their parents- something you were absolutely about to do.

Now you know exactly what you must do. You must stand up to, and be willing to disappoint your parents, not only for your own happiness, but to remain on Asgard to finish your studies- perhaps there is some type of medicine or therapy here that can help your sister and the baby.

You turn in the direction of the library, suddenly afire in your pursuit. I'll send a letter back to Hnoss asking to see her and Kvasir's test results- perhaps I can compare the data to-

"Little bird!" You halt dead in your tracks at the sound of your father's voice.

You raise your hesitant eyes, which had previously been fixed on the ground during your determined march toward the library, down the hall, discovering not only your mother and father, but that they are accompanied by King Odin and Queen Frigga. Your cheeks catch fire under their gaze. You look an absolute mess, which is not at all the state you want to be in in front of the king and queen, and you certainly don't have the courage to defy your parents in front of them.