The Dawn of a New Era

You're completely unaware of the fact that you'd fallen asleep on the carriage ride back to the palace until you're being shaken awake once again.

"Yes! What? Shh- don't touch me." You startle awake, unsure of where you are and what you've just said; the realization that an unfamiliar guard has his hand on your thigh exacerbating your distressed state.

"Gersemi- it's okay, it's me." Loki's voice comes out of the man you've never seen before.

"Now, I don't like that one bit." You pout, your sense of humor returning to you as you study Loki's illusion, mystified.

"While I appreciate the sentimentality, I really think it would be unwise of me to waltz into the palace baring my own face." He smirks. It's extremely odd to see Loki's signature smirk on someone else's face. "Are you going to continue to look at me that way the entire time I'm in this form?" He teases.

"Oh, most-definitely."

Before Loki has a chance to say something witty in return, the footman opens the door of the carriage, forcing him to slip back into the role he's playing and help you step out.

"I've been instructed to escort her grace straight to Prince Aster." Loki gives the footman a confident nod as he guides you toward the palace gate.

"Very well. I do believe he is in the private dining room working." The footman climbs back atop the carriage with ease.

—--------------------------------

Your stomach twists into a knot over and over again, as you fight repeatedly to force it to unwind with deep, calming breaths as you and your disguised Loki storm through the palace halls.

"Um. This way- yes, definitely down here." You take a less than confident turn to the right. Your map from Bragi still rests safely in your pocket, but you cannot risk disrupting the illusion by giving away the fact that the royal guard accompanying you does not know his way around the palace.

You nearly relax when you spot the doors to the private dining room, your pace quickening just enough to hopefully not alert the guard stationed outside of the door.

"My fiancé, is he inside?" You call out to the guard as matter-of-factly as you can.

"Yes, your grace. Do you wish to enter?"

"I do- my guard as well, thank you."

With absolutely no hesitation at all, he complies, opening the door for you and Loki to enter.

"Gersemi! Thank the Norns you are safe." Aster springs up from his seat, dropping the paper he was holding amongst at least a hundred others scattered across the table. Bragi, who was seated at his side, stands as well, both of the boys nearly running to your side.

Aster scoops you up into a tight hug; you fully expect Bragi to join, but instead he stops, straightening his posture and eyeing Loki.

Once Aster has returned you to the ground he regards Loki, studying his false appearance for several moments, his confusion shifting into embarrassment. "I must apologize, I don't believe I met-"

"No need for formalities." You let out a single laugh. "This is Loki- the father of my child. He's... well, he's used an illusion to help not draw attention to himself."

"Loki- the God of Mischief?" Aster nearly chokes, his well-trained ability to put his best face forward taking over. "That's- well, it's very nice to meet you."

"And you." Loki grumbles, his very obviously less well-trained ability to behave in certain situations not taking over.

"So-" You clap your hands together, immediately cursing yourself for the awkward gesture. "Lots to discuss."