Urdoor

The feeling surrounding you is unlike any other you've experienced before.

You were no longer falling, but you also had not made impact. Yet, there is without a doubt, ground underneath you once again. Wherever you are, the thick, inky blackness surrounding you is so dark that you cannot even see your own hands outstretched in front of you.

You begin to crawl in one direction on your hands and knees, keeping a single hand reached out in front of you, desperately trying to find something to clue you in to where you are.

After several minutes of this, you bang your knee into what you're pretty certain is a rock, yelping in pain.

That felt pretty real- perhaps I'm not dead.

"Dammit all to Hel!" You scream out in frustration, feeling horrifically hopeless and confused.

"Hel... Hel... Hel..."

The tail end of your curse echoes all around you several times before fading away in what sounds like a pretty far off distance to your left.

You carefully rise to your feet, arms both outstretched, taking careful steps in the direction that you're praying leads you out of here.

"Hello?"

"... hello... oh... oh... oh..."

Taking small, short steps, you slowly follow the sound of your reverberating voice.

—————

Tears stream down your cheeks as you stagger through the darkness, more and more convinced each moment that you're never getting out of here.

How long have I been walking?

You cease your feeble wandering, your knees shaking beneath you, and suck in a sharp breath. You hold your breath until your chest burns, unsure as to what you're trying to accomplish.

Maybe this will calm me down, or make me pass out. Either one would be fine.

Just as you're about to let out your breath, ceasing the fire in your chest, you hear something in the distance. A sigh, a growl, or perhaps just a figment of your imagination- you're almost positive you heard something.

You quickly catch your breath, taking several steps in the direction of the sound.

You hear it again, without a shred of doubt this time.

Someone or something is definitely down here.

————————

Your heart pumps so wildly that you can hear the whir of it in your ears as you tiptoe in the direction of the sound. As you get closer, you realize that you're hearing voices- as if someone is having a hushed conversation down here in the dark.

A shiver runs down your spine as you will yourself to inch closer.

Who would choose to hide here? Unless of course they didn't choose to be here, and you've wandered into some type of dungeon. Oh gods-

You've just about scared yourself into turning around when you see a dim, warm light at the end of the passage. You're quite certain it's spilling out into the darkness from behind a cracked open door.

Okay... so that certainly doesn't seem like a prison cell.

You force your feet to head in that direction yet again, barely breathing in an attempt at remaining undetected by whoever or whatever is in that room.

As you approach the large, wooden door, you begin to discern parts of the conversation.

"We will have to have an heir- that's the entire point of this."