Cold Feet

You storm down the halls of the healing ward with fire under your toes, positively buzzing with excitement to see your sister. The housecarl follows you at your heels, but you do your best to ignore the strange feeling being so closely monitored causes in your gut.

"Hnoss!" You practically sing, the moment you enter her room.

"Oh, sister!" She wraps you into a tight hug as you dive into her, her tears dampening your sleeve.

"We require some time in private- please watch the door from the hall." You call out to the housecarl over your shoulder.

The moment he exits, your sister giggles, "Well hot damn- look at you. The future Queen of Vanaheim is no longer my timid little sister."

"I'm considering enrolling at the Bard's College once this is all said and done." You tease. "How are you doing?"

"There's no need to worry about me." Your sister smiles. "I've had my ups and downs, but receiving your letter made me feel much better- as cryptic as it was." She narrows her eyes at you.

"I've been dying to see you, to talk to you, but I've been a bit of a prisoner to all of the hullabaloo." You wave your hand into the air dramatically.

"You've changed."  She announces plainly.

"What?"

"Since I last saw you... you're different. Bolder."

"I'm sure the sleep deprivation caused by planning a royal wedding has made me a bit-"

"You've put on weight."

"Hnoss! Gods! I'm under enough stress without you critiquing my figure-"

"My point exactly." She smirks.

You glare back at her in confused silence.

"The meek little sister I've always known would've been mortified hearing a comment like that. You would have blushed crimson, and then probably made some sort of polite excuse justifying the comment some asshole made about your body."

"You're not some asshole." You laugh.

Hnoss gives you a reassuring smile. "Tell me what's going on, sis."

You check over your shoulder before speaking. "It's bad." You swallow roughly and your sister immediately reaches for your hand as you fight back tears.

"Whose ass do I need to kick?"

You chuckle. "It's not that. I-" You pause to look over your shoulder toward the door once again, ensuring that it's still closed. "I'm pregnant." You're not sure if the words are audible when they finally escape your lips.

"Apparently you and the prince are getting along well." Hnoss smirks.

"No- Hnoss. It's not Aster's." You squeeze her hand.

"The two of you stare into each other's eyes in silence as the gravity of the situation sinks in for both of you.

"What are you going to do?"

"Exactly what I'm doing." You whisper. "The wedding is only three days away, no one needs to know it's not Aster's."

"Sis..." Hnoss' eyes fill with tears.

"It's okay. I made the decision weeks ago. It's what's best for the baby and it means I'll be able to stay here and keep an eye on you." You force a smile, willing your tears not to make the descent down your cheeks.

"What? No! Gersemi- you've got to know that's the wrong thing to do."

"I've put plenty of thought into this, sis-"

Endlesslyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें