The Autmn Ball

You were in such a state of shock, you don't remember how you arrived back home.

As you slip in through the back door, it's impossible not to overhear the roar of the party, still raging on. It gives you a sense of comfort knowing that your absence most likely went unnoticed.

You make it to your bedroom, set your satchel carefully on the floor, and collapse into bed.

Pregnant.

You're pregnant. Not just pregnant, but pregnant with Loki, the God of Mischief's child... out of wedlock. Also, you have a pretty serious date with the future King of Vanaheim tomorrow.

Wait...

That's it.

Since the sudden death of the previous monarch, Prince Aster and his mother seem to be in quite the rush to find him a bride.

This is something you can absolutely use to your advantage now.

If I accept the princes' proposal, which is quite surely coming tomorrow, and agree to a rushed wedding, I could easily pass the baby off as his.

Your stomach turns in knots.

This is wrong.

This is most certainly not ethical... but it will save you a lifetime of shame and embarrassment, and it will guarantee your baby a very cozy life.

You have no choice. You will marry Prince Aster, become the Queen of Vanaheim and then welcome your newborn baby, promised to live a life full of comfort, support and power, to the world.

You have to do this. For your baby.

For yours and Loki's baby.

—————————

The sun wakes you up far before you're ready for it. You've hardly had time to get your wits about you before your mother barges into your room.

"Oh sweetie! What a wonderful day it is!" She sings, ripping open your curtains the rest of the way to let in all of the light.

You groan as the sunlight hits you in the face, temporarily blurring your vision.

"Please tell me you did not stay up all night reading, or fiddling with your plants again." She scowls.

"No, mother. The light's just a bit jarring." You force yourself up and out of bed, your sore back protesting every movement.

Ah, I suppose that makes a bit more sense, now.

"What's on your mind, sweetie?"

"Hm?"

"Gersemi, are you quite alright?"

"Yes. Sorry, just a bit of nerves for the day ahead." You walk past her without another word, closing yourself into the bathroom.

You hurry to the tap, splashing cold water on your face in an attempt to get a grip on reality.

You're doing this. You're marrying Prince Aster. You are hiding this pregnancy.

Everything is going to be fine.

When you look up to see your reflection in the mirror, you find a face that appears far older than it had yesterday staring back at you. Wiser too? Perhaps not. Worn down though, for sure.

Can you truly live with yourself if you do this?

"Gersemi, we need to get to Genevieve's as quickly as possible. She's fashioned a new dress for you overnight." Your mother calls out from the other side of the door.