Endlessly

Your heart feels as though it may flutter out of your chest in excitement.

Today's the day.

You'd explained everything to Loki, and managed to sneak a private moment with Aster the day before yesterday to discuss and finalize the details.

"I must return to my garden- apologies for my rudeness." You abandon a mostly full plate of breakfast, leaving Bragi looking mystified with your behavior.

Perfect. I need him to think that I am utterly engrossed with my gardening. It will help tonight be more convincing.

You pull a lemon pastry out of your pocket that you'd snuck when no one was looking, taking a large bite as you hurry your way to the palace gardens.

—---------------------------------------

Gloves off, you're elbow deep in a hole you intend to replant a gorgeous yellow rose bush in when you catch a glimpse of something moving across the soil out of the corner of your eye. Your vision has fully returned, so you assure yourself it isn't your eyes playing tricks on you this time as you sit back on your heels to investigate.

Your stomach flips as you inspect the movement in the dirt. It isn't a snake or large bug as you'd expected, but rather, words. There are letters being written in the damp soil, slowly and deliberately- right before your eyes.

When the scribing stops, you read them under your breath.

"I'm particularly fond of this view of you."

You whip your head around to find Loki lounged far across the gardens on a stone bench near the water, barefoot and warming himself in the sun like a cat. He's wearing a loose-fitted, white cotton tunic unbuttoned just enough to show the top of his chest, and a smirk. The green glow of his seidr dances playfully at his fingertips.

"Ass." You write back in the dirt with your finger.

"Precisely." You swear you can feel his wink through the soil. "Now, respond with your seidr this time."

You look in his direction once again. Even if you did know how to send him a message, the bench where he's perched is surrounded by grass and andesite stepping stones. There's no dirt around the edge of the water for you to-

The water.

Your arcana, half full with the blue glow of your seidr, surges as you concentrate. Perhaps you could create something in the reflection of the water. You squeeze your eyes shut as you concentrate all of your energy on the surface of the pond, and on the same insult you'd written just a moment ago in the soil.

You know it's worked when his belly laugh echoes across the small pond and through the courtyard.

"Very nice work. Although I do feel that I deserve a far sweeter pet name. Are you excited for tonight?"

"Nervous."

"You're going to do just fine."

"They both deserve it to be perfect." Your head spins from the concentration required to send a full sentence.

"Perfect may be a bit unfair to expect out of poor Aster." Once again, you're sure you can feel his smirk though the glimmer of his seidr.

You pour your focus onto the surface of the water again, concentrating not on forming words this time, but a cupped hand- which enthusiastically splashes water into his face.

The startled sound that echoes across the courtyard is one you'll never forget- and one that will forever send you into a fit of giggles.

As you start to turn in his direction to appreciate your handwork, you're knocked off of your heels backwards into the dirt, a plume of dust mixing with the shimmer of Loki's magic as he appears out of thin air, directly on top of you.