Chapter 4 - Tomorrow we fight

"Shinohara san is in the hospital, so I'll take his place in this meeting." Houji started. Y/n glanced at Juuzou, but nothing was seen in his eyes.

Does he have any empathy for his mentor at all?

It made her tense a little and move uncomfortably in her chair.

"Some prisoners have escaped Cochlea, among them are Donato Porpora, Matasaka Kamishiro, and Neko - Jason's younger brother."

Y/n rested her chin in the palm of her hand. Many thoughts crossed her mind.
She was too caught up with Juuzou the other day. She could have been more productive if he didn't disturb her.

"We will fight with all the forces against the owl. I'm handing you some papers that explain your positions in the fight. I need you to write down your wills as well."

Y/n grabbed the piece of paper.

"Sir..." She huffed, "Why is Project 22 fighting on a lower line?"

"Don't underestimate the lower line, Handler 22. We have some special class against the owl, and now with those prisoners out, we can't focus all our forces on one aim."

So that clown will fight against the SSS-rated owl, and my team won't? 

She nodded slowly, fits clenched under the table.

When the meeting ended, Y/n rushed to Houji.

"Houji san..." She muttered, "Please. You know it's a bad idea. Suzuya is good in a fight but not in teamwork. Shinohara almost died the other day because he didn't have his partner by his side. He isn't... prepared for that kind of battle. Let me handle this."

Houji let out a long sigh.

"He is Shinohara's partner. He will fight alongside him. Shinohara is in charge of that. I appreciate your worry, but he trusts him. He believes in him, and so do I. You should too, try to believe in others."

She felt let down. She fights with them for years, and they treat her like nobody. Houji put his hand on her shoulder, but she brushed it off, storming out of the room.

"So fucking annoying," She muttered under her breath.

"Hmmm, Major chan~ You look upset. Are you envious?" Juuzou joked playfully.

"Shut up," She answered with a taut tone, "Because of you, Shinohara almost died. Partners should move in pairs. Did you even visit him in the hospital?"

Juuzou looked confused. He thought they had a great time in that fight, but he guessed he was wrong.

  "Here you go again with your boring lectures," He says, "And I thought you were a little fun

"Here you go again with your boring lectures," He says, "And I thought you were a little fun. I should have known better," He mockingly remarked.

"You just don't care, do you? If he died that day, it wouldn't bother you at all. How can he stand you?"

Juuzou's eyes changed. This hostile vibe from her irritated him greatly.

"Maybe I should sew your little mouth, so you stop talking shit, Major" He remarked with a mild tone, tilting his head.

"I'm not scared of you" She replied, peeved.

"You should" He licked his lower lip and grabbed her shirt tightly, "I killed a fair amount of humans too, you know?"

His face was so close to hers. He could hear her breath and her heartbeat increasing. His chapped lips curve into a smirk.

"What are you gonna do, pervert?" She hissed at him.

"What is going on?" Amon appeared out of nowhere with Akira behind him.

"ohh nothing~" Juuzou giggled, skipping away.

"I need us to prepare for the battle. When are you available for a meeting with your team?" Amon asked.

***

It was a day before the war. 

A cold wind blew through Tokyo streets. Everybody was getting ready, writing down their wills, or saying goodbye to their loved ones. It felt like the sky knew when blood was going to spill.

Juuzou was alone, playing with his paper airplane on top of the building.

Y/n's words played in his head. He hates the way she looks at him. The way she sees him. Her eyes... disturbed him.

He was used to it, but she was different. Everyone else was thinking to themselves what she dared to say out loud.

Tossing his airplane in the night's cold air, he promised to prove her wrong.

Sleep for today, but tomorrow we fight.