Chapter 35 - The world

Tokyo changed after that.

You were offered the position of deputy head of the academy, but you declined.

"I love the way things are right now" You softly smiled to Akira. She nodded, shaking your hand.

"You will always have a place here."

The sun had just begun to rise over the quiet cemetery as you made your way to the cemetery. You clutched a bouquet of roses tightly in your hand, taking in the cool morning air with a deep breath.

You knelt down, carefully placing the flowers at the base of the marker. You traced your fingers over the engraved letters of their names, remembering the good times you shared.

"It's over." You whisper.

So many thoughts cross your mind. You never imagined this kind of turn of events. Who would have thought those who swore to protect humanity would commit such wrongs?

Moreover - the savors of the day turned out to be ghouls—the monsters you were supposed to hate.

You sat there for a while longer, silently remembering your life together.

You told them about the past year's events, the highs and lows, and how much you wished they were there. You spoke of your hopes and dreams for the future.

You told them about Juuzou, and about how much you cared for him.

As the sun climbed higher in the sky, you left the cemetery with a heavy heart. It wasn't getting easier.

When you reach your doorstep, you notice the door is open.

Alerted, you silently make your way inside. Juuzou is supposed to be at work, so it was odd that the door was open.

"Nakari?" You ask when noticing the blond investigator sitting on the sofa with the cat on his head.

"Good morning, Y/n san" The male stands up, bowing.

"Why are you here?" You ask with a worried tone. Did something happen to Juuzou?

"It's about Yukinori Shinohara."

Your eyes widen with fear.

"Don't tell me he died..." You cover your mouth, feeling the tears come up to your eyes. That's no good.

If he died - Juuzou would be devastated. Heartbroken.

"He woke up."

***

***

Rushing to the hospital, your mind raced with emotions - bliss, disbelief, and fear. The sterile scent of disinfectant filled the air, while the constant beeping of machines and bustle of doctors and nurses created a sense of urgency.

The halls were long and brightly lit, with white walls and floors that seemed to stretch on forever.

"Juuzou!" You call when seeing his black hair from afar.