Chapter 28 - True colors

It wasn't until you saw the envelope on your desk that you realized how much trouble you were in.

Lately, The ghoul attacks have increased significantly, and there was much more need for front-line assault. When dealing with one of the raids, you noticed a mother and a child between raging attackers.

"Humans." You were surprised. They didn't move.

"Please, spare us. He is a half-human." The mother begged. You wonder if it was true love or a forced child.

To slaughter them all. Even the humans within - were Akuji's last words before sending you.

As if she knew you would be challenged.

"You spared them even though the child was a half-ghoul," Akuji remarked when you reached her office.

Juuzou was standing between the two of you, his hands behind his back, and his expression was detached as always.

"The CCG's purpose is to solve ghoul-related crimes. We don't know if she was forced to do so. There is no justice in a mass slaying if we protect no one in the end." You state. Your chest is pulled out, and your back is straight as always. You were confident in your decision.

"Justice is subjective," Akuji's voice raised, "And as a former leader, I expect you to follow orders. You are a strong-minded investigator, but disobeying any order will have consequences."

You glanced at Juuzou, who didn't even look at you. He stared at the floor; his hair was collected in a tiny bun.

This was out of his hands, and you knew it. It was Akuji's mission.

"I am warning you. Next time I will have no other choice." Akuji's eyes shifted to Juuzou, but he remained unbothered. Your eyes bulged as you clenched your fists.

"Is that clear, Investigator Suzuya?" - "Ayeee~"

Your jaw tightened, and your teeth ground together as you struggled to contain your rage when you walked back to your office.

"Is she gone fucking insane? Killing innocent civilians? For what? And making it look like it's my fault..." You muttered angrily, slamming the door behind you.

Juuzou remained muted when he seated himself in his chair.

"Why are you being so quiet?" You rosed your eyebrow.

Juuzou shrugged, making every muscle in your body tense.

"Do you have any thoughts on the matter?" - "I don't think they are necessary." He smiled loosely.

"I'm interested in your perspective," Your voice became softer.

He hesitated for a moment but nodded.

"Well... you are known for your habit of disobeying orders. As your superior, I must agree with Akuji san on this one."

You felt your face turning bright red when his words left his mouth.

"Are you being serious?" You raised your voice, "Even if human life is on the line?" - "An order is an order, Y/n san. There is nothing I can do to change it."

Even as anger and hurt swirled inside, you said nothing. You kept your emotions tightly controlled, faking a chuckle.

But he could see right through you. You could hide nothing from him as if you were made of glass.

"Hey," Juuzou got up from his seat, "Look at me. I know it bothers you. I understand it." He pulls your chin up, pecking your lips gently.

"So why are you agreeing with her?" You ask, staring into his eyes.