Chapter 26 - Lunar ecalips

One month later

***

"No."

The woman behind the desk let a long sigh out.

"Suzuya..." She quietly said, "Why is this such a big deal? I thought we understood each other..."

Juuzou remains unbothered, his hands behind his back.

"This is my squad. I won't send them on a mission without their superior. They are my responsibility, and therefore, this is my decision."

Akuji held a piercing, penetrating stare before standing up and walking over to Juuzou.

"It's a small undercover mission. There is no need for a battle or a fight. You are a prominent investigator, and these useless assignments will only waste your time," She brushed her fingers on Juuzou's shoulder, "Don't waste your energy on things that don't matter, Suzuya san."

"My answer is final" Juuzou's tone remained monotonous.

Although it bothered Akuji greatly, she maintained a calm facial expression.

"All right," She walked back to her chair, "I am assigning you too. If you change your mind, let me know" She smiled a coy smile before Juuzou exited the room.

When Juuzou reached his office, everyone was sitting silently.

"You may begin, Hanbee."

The tall man cleared his throat before beginning.

"Today's mission involves gathering sensitive information about the Tsukiyama family. They are upper-class Ghouls living within human society, celebrating the Luna eclipse with a ball today."

Juuzou again drifted off to his own world. His eyes stare blankly at the ceiling, his mouth is a thin line. He could still hear your voice singing in his head. Your ghost hunted him, just skin and bones.

Since the Owl attack, Juuzou learned to maintain his feelings and work without needless movements. Nevertheless, you broke him apart.

His vow to take Shinohara's place and remain a fair and understanding leader was a big challenge nowadays.

He was furious with the world. You were his light, his safe place.

How can he continue without his safe place?

With no place, he can be entirely himself. A place that knew his weaknesses and loved him despite his flaws.

You loved his imperfections. You loved the way he was brutally honest and the way he was ruthless and childish. No one loved it but you.

He knew it; he saw it in your eyes. He saw it in your body. The way your body always needed him, always craved more attention from him.

"Suzuya senpai." Hanbee's voice called, waking Juuzou from his daydream.

"Hmm~?" - "We are ready to leave."

He nodded, standing up.

***

The Luna eclipse ball took place in a vast palace in the middle of Tokyo, filled with opulent decorations, flickering candlelight, and the strains of music drifting through the air.

The attendees are all wearing intricate masks that conceal their identities, adding an element of intrigue and excitement to the affair.

The atmosphere is both mysterious and alluring as the guests engage in conversation and sip champagne, their eyes wandering across the room, trying to catch a glimpse of their masked companions.