Chapter 14 - For heaven's sake

It was Y/n's and Suzuya's first significant operation together. Juuzou wondered how she would fit in with his teammates. He remembers her fighting skills and agility, but will she follow orders?

She's too arrogant sometimes. However, she was a leader, which made Juuzou trust that she would understand his decisions and orders without unnecessary discussion.

After all, he sees the bigger picture.

They were driving in a truck, all wearing the same black jacket with a high collar featuring various pockets and compartments. Above that was their black tactical vest, providing additional protection and storage space for equipment.

Y/n's hair was pulled up, with some hair falling down. She was looking out the window, her suitcase resting on her lap.

Juuzou was wearing an emotionless expression, hinting he was deep in thought.

There was a foreboding stillness in the atmosphere.

Upon arriving at the building, they can't help but feel a sense of anticipation. In order to save the captives and eliminate the ghouls virtually, they needed patience. Although Juuzou struggled with it in his early years, he was now much more dedicated to a more practical killing method.

So they split, waiting for the next shipment. Nakari and Y/n were in charge of scanning the building and finding more captives. Juuzou and Hanbee's position was to clean the floors as much as possible and slaughter the leaders. Mikage and Tamaki waited for the next transport truck to come and free the humans - if any were alive.

Haise and Akira were outside, ready to back up if needed and looking for Torso.

The building stands tall and imposing, with its faded red brick exterior and rusted metal fixtures.

"Go," Juuzou gave the signal, and in a couple of minutes, everyone was in position. The halls are dimly lit, and the air is thick with the musty scent of decay. The walls are peeling, and the floors creak with every step.

"Nakari," Y/n waved her hands when she heard some voices.

They quietly explore further and come across a dark and dank basement. The flickering of broken fluorescent lights casts unsettling shadows on the walls. Using her flashlight, Y/n revealed the prisoners. They were still alive, their faces were covered, and their hands were tied.

"We found them," Nakari spoke into his earbud.

"So quickly~ Good work. Take them to Mado and Sasaki and return to clear the floor."

They did as they were told to. There was no sound of fight or battle. Juuzou possed a skill that helped him annihilate like a ghost.

This silence creates a sense of unease, intimidating both Y/n and Nakari.

"We cleared the second and third floors; we are heading to the roof now," Juuzou spoke.

"The load arrives. We are in positions." Mikage exclaimed.

Within a second, as the truck they were waiting for arrived, a deafening burst blasted, and a fire lit up the second floor.

Y/n flew through the window, collapsing outside the building.

She tried to rise up, coughing.

Between the ruins that sank with her was a thick smoke. And from the flames raised a figure.

"Oh my... Oh my... Who might it be."

Her eyes widened in fear.

Over the ruins was standing the demon who ruined her life.