Chapter 30 - Heartbeats

Your Point of view.

***

It was clear to me from the start that the ghouls in Goat wouldn't want to get involved with Juuzou. Many of them preferred to avoid us, even though we were working toward the same goal.

Shinohara was brought with the help of Haise, who was Kaneki by now.

Most of the time, Juuzou was sitting in his room, holding his hand or just staring at him with numbness.

There was still a distance between us, and as much as I tried not to show my despair, sometimes it would take over me and I would isolate myself until those thoughts disappeared.

"Hey," I greet them when I enter Shinohara's room.

"Good morning, Y/n chan~" Juuzou greeted with a small smile

"I called his wife and told her his with us. She thanked you for taking him in." I speak, handing Juuzou a cup of hot chocolate. He accepts it with a smile.

"She should be thanking you..." He says in a quiet tone.

I stand for another silent moment before speaking.

"How are you?" I ask, putting my hand on his shoulder.

"Fine," He shrugs, not looking at me. I look at Shinohara's sleeping face. His hair turned white.

"Kaneki wanted to talk with you. He wants to bring the CCG to a table by force in order to negotiate. What do you think about that?" I ask, sitting next to him.

Juuzou blinks a couple of times before leaning back, looking at the ceiling.

"I donno~" He murmurs under his breath, "Shinohara san wouldn't like the idea..."

His eyes show a hint of sadness when he looks back at Shinohara.

"Juzo," I say softly, "You need to understand that this is beyond what he could imagine. This war... is created by humans against humans. It's not about peace anymore. You can't continue living your life in his shadow."

His eyes look at me with shock.

"You are a great mentor and your opinion matters. Your opinion, Juzo. Not Shinohara's."

Juuzou's lips parted with surprise. He stares at me for another long moment before chuckling.

"Is that so..."

I tighten the hold on my cup.

"Suzuya senpai" we turn to the knock on the door.

"Good morning, Hanbee" Juuzou greets the tall man, "How are Mikage and Nakari?" - "They are doing well sir. They feel much better. We wanted to know if there will be any meeting on our next mission."