Chapter 18 - Sarcasm

"Suzuya san! Good morning!" Tooru bowed.

"Good morning~" Juuzou replied with a smile, putting his coat away.

"Is Y/n san joining soon?" Tooru asked the black-haired male.

"Oh, no. She was attacked yesterday, so she is having a day off~" Juuzou explained.

"What happened? Is she okay?" Tooru panicked.

"She's fine~ She's strong," Juuzou remarked.

"Yeah... I remember." Tooru swallowed the lump in his throat when remembering the bullet that almost pierced his head.

"Haise won't be joining today either."

"Okay, so let's do some basics."

Juuzou showed Tooru how to throw some knives and handle some basic attacks. Tooru watched with marvel at how calm and precise Juuzou was handling those knives.

After some time, Hanbee came to the room, looking for his mentor.

"Are you okay, Hanbee? You look worried," Juuzou asked the tall man.

"Yes... I just heard Y/n was attacked yesterday. It's scary..." He looks down.

"Yes, but she is fineeee ~~" Juuzou sang and stopped.

"Wait. How... did you know she was attacked?"

"I bumped into her a few minutes ago. She was in a hurry and didn't really explain what had happened. She said she was going to the doctor."

Juuzou wrinkled his nose. Why would she go to the doctor? He treated her well yesterday.

Juuzou turned to Tooru.

"Where did you say Haise was?"

"He has some investigating with a ghoul, I think. At cochlea."

Juuzou's eyes widened.

***

The room was dimly lit, with a single lamp casting a flickering glow over the two figures.

Porpora smiled a wrinkled grin when Y/n walked into the room. Haise was standing beside her, observing. A glass wall separated the ghoul from the two.

"Finally..." He began, his voice clear and ruthless.

"Wanted to see me?" Y/n raised her head, glaring at him.

"I think you are the one who needed me." He playfully answered.

Y/n forced a smile, trying to hide her anxiety.

"Oh, I can see it in your eyes. You have gone mad, aren't you? my dear... they hunt you" His voice filled with satisfaction.

Y/n's expression darkened. The voices were starting to rise up to his voice as if he controlled them.

She remembered how Juuzou said she was too easy to read. Slowly, she began to feel too bare in front of the ghoul.

"I'm not scared of you." Y/n lied, her eyes darting.

Donato burst into laughter.

"You can't make them disappear, my dear child. I'm so happy I didn't kill you. This is great."

Kill him.

Please, kill him.

Major. It hurts.

"I don't need you," Y/n whispered. She didn't know who she was talking to. Maybe it was Donato, maybe the voices in her head. But she knew she needed to do something quickly before losing control.