17

Gringotts was the same as Draco remembered. It would seem despite being in another century it had not changed much. Still cold stone, freezing temperatures, and goblins guarding the wealth of the Wizarding world. For a job that was so incredibly important, he was surprised by the hate that Goblins often got. They were incredibly powerful creatures. The Dark Lord had managed to notice that almost immediately, if the rumors were to be believed, and they had sided with him and aided him greatly during the war. Then again, The Dark Lord had managed to gather a wealth of magical beings and creatures together in a sight that had not been seen ever before. It was partially what had him go down in the history books, more or less-considering everyone was too damn cowardly to actually talk about the things that he did. As much as the so called 'good' side liked to play at learning from their mistakes, they really did not learn from anything if they were too terrified to actually talk about what had happened.

Draco saw Tom walk rather primly to one of the Goblins standing close by the doors. "Hello again, I would like to access my vault," Tom stated clearly. Draco watched with some degree of curiosity as the Goblin seemed to almost...key word...smile as he saw Tom. He held his hand out for the key, which Tom instantly placed in his hand. The Goblin gave a nod and slid off his chair. "I would like enough to cover this years' expenses, as well as my friend's, here." Draco felt his wrist unceremoniously yanked, and he himself went tumbling forwards slightly in front of Tom, who then switched his grasp from his wrist to press tightly on his shoulders, fingers curling into the fabric of his shirt. The Goblin stared at him, eyes narrowing slightly. Draco felt his body curve back into Tom's, though the other refused to let him move behind him. "Recently orphaned, during the war. It is a rather...sensitive topic." Tom said quietly, almost conspiratorially. The Goblin nodded once.

"I will get your funds, as well as this...young...master's funds from the Hogwarts Orphanage foundation." Draco flinched slightly at the words, ignoring the way they stung him. They were true...of a fashion Draco supposed. He still had no idea how he was going to deal with his Hogwarts Sorting, where his name would be called aloud for all to hear. Things were just going to become more and more complicated, and there was nothing to do about it. It is something he will have to deal with later, as he did not have the patience with himself to think it over. "Any specific amount you wish added to the funds from you own vault?" The Goblin questioned Tom.

"I think...perhaps twenty Galleons should do it, though if you think more or less is necessary please, go ahead. I am still getting used to the monetary value of things, after all, and you are far more well versed on the value of supplies and wealth than I am." The Goblin did smile at that, thanking Tom and bowing before hopping to the back. Draco allowed himself the weakness of letting himself fall into Tom, not wanting to think about what could happen if he was spotted by the wrong people. Not just the wrong people, but what would happen when he was in Hogwarts. Despite knowing there was little he can do about how things would unfold, he knew that it was not likely to be...pleasant. His first few months at Hogwarts was going to be...difficult. Then again, what could be considered difficult after his last couple of years? He had survived the Dark Lord in the midst of his madness, and somehow come out alive after two years, almost three. Then he met another Dark Lord, infamous, and yet less...cruel than his own. He had managed to survive both of them. He doubted anything that his first few months of Slytherin would top his experiences in terms of the worst things that had happened.

I have definitely changed more than I would like to think. Draco thought to himself as he and Tom awaited for their funds. I would never have thought that my reputation and the worry of what could happen to someone thinking I was falsifying my information, or being seen as a bastard, half blood, or something even worse would have ever been of little concern to me. Granted, I am still worried, but...before it would have been almost the worst of my thoughts...now...now it is very different. Things have changed so much after the Dark Lord lived with me...I used to only be afraid of angering father, now...things are so different. The realization was discomforting, and Draco shoved those thoughts away. He had changed, and a big part of him was worried what he had been molded into, because it definitely was not something good, even to his own pitiful definition of good.