35

Orion and Abraxas sat quietly, both watching Tom and Draco. Draco was still staring out at the Great Lake. It held the Giant Squid and merpeople, and who knew what other fascinating creatures. Draco knew Slytherins were lucky in that way, being able to see some of the things that would otherwise be impossible. Though, were the windows not magically reinforced he would be worried that the entire common room would flood. It was a rather neat way of getting rid of competition, particularly during a war with a group of children that are more than likely going to be your enemy. If Salzaar himself had not charmed the damn things he would be worried someone else would attempt to break them. As it were, ancient magic was incredibly difficult to wield, and had the rather nagging habit of becoming quite explosive towards the offender trying to break through.

It is what made Tom so dangerous, just like his Father, just like the Dark Lord. Draco did not know why, but even Grindelwald had been on the bad side of ancient magic when he had startled him as Draco was having a rather severe emotional session-as his Aunt Bella liked to call them. Yet, his magic seemed to turn away from harming his father, from the Dark Lord, and now Tom as well. If he could figure out why maybe...But that is useless. Draco frowned contemplatively. I have already scavanged all that Hogwarts has to offer, and what little I could get to in the Malfoy Library without arousing suspicion. Still, there was nothing...nothing useful at least. I have no idea why, and that is somewhat terrifying. If I can't figure out why my magic seems to not work against them, I definitely won't be able to protect myself long term. Though I suppose there is not much to be done about it.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Tom questioned, a light finger tap on his shoulder, causing him to flinch slightly at the suddenness. Draco's eyes turned towards his and he tilted his head, confusion warring with frustration and annoyance at being interrupted.

"Penny...for your thoughts? I do not understand."

"I thought you wouldn't." Tom said with a shrug. "It is a muggle expression. Means would you like to talk about whatever is going on so hard in that head of yours. Perhaps also to be used as a warning that you are blanking out of reality for a bit." Tom tossed him a copper looking circular thing. Draco took a slightly closer look and noticed it was not a knut. He supposed that this was the aforementioned 'penny'. "Also could be because people used to be bribed for their thoughts using a penny. Not too sure how the term came about but blackmail is common enough in the muggle world that it probably had a lot to do with buying information from people." Draco found that he could not be all that surprised that something like that was common with Muggles. After all, it was more than common among the rich and elite wizarding families as well. Even the so-called perfect families like Potters had some fingers dug into blackmail material for safekeeping. One would be stupid not to. Still, Draco was sharp enough to understand what Tom wanted without needing further information.

"I was just thinking...about whether or not Hogwarts library ever changes." The hesitant way the words left his mouth had Tom thinking there was a lot more to just an innocent thought like that. Was there something going on that he did not know about? He did not like it, but he also knew better than to press, especially with the hard edge to Draco's eyes. He would merely make him more guarded, and that would definitely not do.

"As far as I am aware," Orion stated, speaking up when it was clear that Tom would not. "The contents of the library are solely dependant on the Headmaster. They can choose what books to confiscate and add to their own leasure. Dumbledore has been complaining about several darker tomes being available for a long time now, not that Dippet really gives him any regard. According to Dippet, the more information the better. Something that it is clear Dumledore does not share."

"No," Draco muttered under his breath, his thoughts flying through his head. "I would not think he would." That means maybe there might be something...I will have to take another look through the Hogwarts library. It certainly will draw far less attention than the Manor's own...although...with how odd the Malfoy Patriarch is being at the moment, perhaps I can get away with perusing it? Maybe it would be better not to risk it...Draco had a feeling that it would be better left alone, at least until he understood more about how the Patriarch acted on the daily. His behavior so far has left him anxious...almost certain there was something waiting for him just out of sight. He was rather surprised he had not been at least flogged once...it was baffling truly.

"We will keep an eye on Dumbledore, though," Abraxas spoke up, leaving Draco's careful mask of neutrality to break slightly at the revelation. He did not question how they knew, knowing Tom must have told them something...after all Tom was the only one who knew that he was dealing with Grindelwald, and the only one who knew what his mission entailed. "Or, at least the best we can. I will inform the lower Slytherins to do so as well. They will obey us, and we will pass the information to either your or Tom...although I am still unsure why it is that you need such information in the first place."

Draco ignored the clear invitation to gift said information, and merely stood the moment Slughorn entered the Common Room, leaving Abraxas slightly agitated, but not willing to commit a scene.