36

Slughorn's speech was not nearly as impressive as his godfather's. Draco had a feeling that it was the lack of charisma. His godfather was intimidating, and he wore it well and used it as a weapon to lash everyone in line without truly lashing them. When he was genuinely angry it was a sight to see, and one you wanted to avoid as things had a tendency to go flying. Slughorn was just...presenceless. Draco did not really know how else to describe it, but Snape had so much more of a vibe than Slughorn did. His aura was so much stronger. Draco idly wondered what his own aura felt like to other people. Was it closer to his godfather? Father? Or this pathetic display?

Draco waved idly as Slughorn mentioned the newest Malfoy addition to the Slytherin party. He was unbothered by the curious, and a few malicious, gazes coming at him. He could defend himself if he truly needed it, but he had a feeling that he would not. Tom seemed to have a lot of sway among the Slytherins if he was able to get both Abraxas and Orion on his side. He was almost certain that he did not really have to worry about anything at the moment, but it would not do to be lax in his safety either. Warding charms would be placed around his fourposter for certain. Not that he was not in the habit of warding every little thing he could think of lately, even if they were useless against his father and the Dark Lord.

Draco took the chance to lounge back in his chair, arm over the back, as soon as Slughorn ended his speech. He had not even waited for the man to get out the door (something he always did with Severus), and just tilted his head back to the ceiling of the room, marvelling once more the spiralling ceiling. Salzaar really outdid himself with their common room. It was elegant and yet charming at the same time. He knew that a lot of people thought that the pale green aura in the room was creepy or eerie, but it comforted Draco quite a bit. He liked the feel of the room. He enjoyed it the best of days, it did not really drag him down. He had heard how the Ravenclaw common room bleeds blue, which he personally thought was more distant and cold than the green color bathing the room.

"New Malfoy?" A sneering voice called from behind Draco. He did not even bother to turn his head, trusting his guy on it being a Flint, or maybe an Avery. Either family had that classic snide tone with everyone. It got Marcus in more trouble than was worth the effort. Draco personally was glad when Marcus was supposed to leave...but then he had no chance to even think about enjoying that school year. Compared to the things that had started happening, it seemed like a paltry thing to be happy over. "I mean, I am sure we all read the Daily Prophet about it but...Abraxas...Is this legit?"

This seemed to ignite ire in Abraxas as much as it did Draco, the difference was that Abraxas actually addressed the accusation himself, while Draco merely curled his fingers into his palm. He had no right to speak on this, after all, since he was the new member, as others would see it. They were testing him, seeing if he was up to the task. His background was not known, after all, and the way the Patriarch worded things made it seem like something nefarious was about.

"Are you saying my father stood up and announced a farce, Avery?" Draco's lips twitched slightly. So he was right about it being one of the two. He should have simply guessed Avery, since it had been his first thought. "To the entire Wizarding World? Is that your accusation?" Avery seemed to immediately back down, and Draco supposed it was because he had not expected Abraxas to defend him. Wrong, Malfoys may be a lot of things, but their ability to save face was beyond that of many families. They were quite well versed in deception, which was what the Partiarch had done, not that Avery needed to know that.

"Of course not, I was just...I mean it was rather sudden, especially given the times. And you have to admit, his background is rather...lacking...tell me...newbie, what..."

"I do not belive my anything is your concern, Avery," Draco responded cooly, still not having bothered to face the other. "And I would be careful with how desperate you seem to be for information." At that he finally did stand, twirling slightly on his heel as he finally looked the stranger in the face. No recognition flashed through his eyes, because Draco did not know him. His information regarding the other families that he was not directly related to was as far as his father's generation...and this was one further. "Some may take it wrong." He gave the other a very obviously painted smile, his eyes unblinking as he stared the other down, grey glashing with green.

"I...I mean..."

"What?" Draco wondered, playing stupid. "Oh, you mean you were just concerned for my wellbeing?" Avery quickly agreed and Draco sighed softly. "Well, lucky for you that is none of your concern. I have plenty of people enough to worry over me, I needn't add another." His eyes said what his mouth had the civilized manner to not, go. away. They crashed through greys and swirled into vortexes of animosity. He hated people who played these games, and the fact that Avery could not even direct his questions towards him? It was lacking decorum if nothing more.

"I..." Avery faltered, staring at him. His eyes flicked towards Orion, a strange expression on his face as he glanced between the two before shaking his head. Tom took the time to do the same, noticing the similarities in the eyes...it was all in the eyes, after all...and he had to admit it was rather surprising. The two had almost the exact same shade of eyes. Though Draco's own were a bit darker due to his heightened emotion. Tom was not even sure what it was that had ticked him off, probably some pureblood mannerisms he was not quite aware of yet.