18

After the small meal Tom quickly had them continue on. They had just gotten their school clothes, after all, and there was still much to be gotten. The next seemed to be the Potions section of the equipment. Tom wanted to get Draco a cauldron, and they both needed supplies, although according to Tom, the Potions teacher gave them most of the ingredients themself. He supposed that had not changed much, though Severus always supplied them their own ingredients even if they did had them. Most preferred to use their own stores, unless you were in Slytherin. Draco personally kept his own stores of potions ingredients for emergencies over the summer, and usually used next to none of what he had in classes. He knew most of the Slytherins preferred to keep their own private stores with the school ingredients. Their parents, rich as they may be, did not tend to buy them potions ingredients beyond what they were given to take to school. Draco still had some of his preserved ingredients from year one. Although, these were of course ingredients that would not wither as time went on, and preserving ingredients was not nearly as difficult as many thought. He had the dates written neatly on the bottles that he had hidden away.

Draco still remembered the unnerving day on his fifteenth birthday, where the Dark Lord had supplied him with all new potions supplies, saying that he had regrettably had to use some of Draco's private stores. It had freaked him out, because he had not only kept them in his room, which to his knowledge the Dark Lord had never entered, and because he had known of them in the first place. The Lord had never searched his mind for such things, and so Draco had not expected him to know about it. He had even double checked and yes, it would seem that the Dark Lord had used some of the older ingredients. Although he had thanked him greatly for resupplying them, which had been an unexpected gesture that had Draco second guessing a lot of things. The Dark Lord had Draco second guessing a lot of things that fifth year. So many things simply seemed...so different. It was as though there were two people in one sometimes, and it had always freaked him out a bit.

It would seem as though Tom knew the shop keep for this small store too. It was not the main potions store, another smaller store that Draco thought he vaguely recognized, but was not entirely sure of, even still, it was not a bad store. It was comforting. Reminded him of his Godfather's office. It was the first time that he really felt himself relax a good section, despite the bruising grip Tom had on his waist. "You have a guest?" Draco would assume Tom typically came to these places alone, not that it necessarily surprised him. What did unnerve him was what made him of all people so special that Tom bothered to drag him about.

"Yes, a friend...of a sort...recently homed with me. You know the war is...causing trouble for everyone, so some orphanages seem to be getting magical kids, more now then ever before. Particularly when the magical parents die, or the living parents or family don't want to claim them, you know how it goes." Tom said with a shrug. Draco did not want to think about how true that would be in his case. Honestly, he just wished Tom would stop talking about it, because it drew him to his memories, and that was not something he wanted to sift through. He had enough problems at the moment, far more than enough, really. Not that he could stop him from speaking, Draco was quite literally relying on him for everything now. It was a pitiful situation, but Draco was willing to deal with it as long as it meant that he survived. Another change, before this sort of thing would have me livid, now...I am just willing to use the situation to my advantage to survive in this...time.

"I suppose he needs a cauldron, and potions supplies, as well as you, I suppose, would need potions supplies." The shop keep said, already bagging up their stuff. "I will give you a discount,"

"There is no need for that, Sir..."

"Oh, please, hogwash. You are helping a young wizard, even though you do not need to, and...goodness knows Hogwarts does much, but this is the second time you have showed up without someone bothering to at least guide you around." Tom flushed a bit, but seemed pleased, though Draco would not have put it past him to choose this shop for those reason exactly. "Plus the war has been hard on everyone, and you are living in two. It is the least that I can do." Tom accepted the discount, of course he did, and they walked out of the store with little more conversation, and Draco not having said a word. He doubted that the keep noticed, or perhaps he just did not care.

"You already have a wand," Tom muttered to himself, as though tracking down the supplies run they still had left. "Need a trunk, of course, and then books. We shall gather our books first." Tom said simply, steering him towards Florish and Blotts. Draco felt a sense of joy overcome him at the sight of a store he actually knew. It was a relief. After walking across dozens of shops he did not recognize, one store may seem stupid, but it brought Draco comfort, since he had been in the store time and again. Though he often went to the bookstore in Knockturn alley for the more interesting books. Hell, even Hogsmede's bookstore was more interesting than Diagon Alleys, but even still, it was something he recognized, and considering the wandshop with that creepy old wandmaker was the only other thing he recognized, Draco would much prefer the bookstore.

The books were not badly handled, although more gently used than anything else. Still, Draco found himself grateful for it. He did not like new books, despite the common misperception as that seemed to be the only thing his father gave a shit about. For one, used books made it seem as though one spent hours perusing the books-which Draco typically did before school anyways-and gave credit to ones' reputation, as long as they were not severely damaged and dingy, but also, new books were oftentimes difficult to open and read, as the spine was incredibly stiff and cracking. It was agitating, and he typically disliked it more often than not. The books they obtained, whilst not new, were used by perhaps a person or two before them, and so they were already slightly worn in, meaning Draco did not have to worry of such things.

Whilst Tom was gathering their textbooks, Draco had managed to extradite himself from Tom to his own ownership for a few minutes. He had no doubt that he would probably hear it from Tom later about how he was not supposed to and not allowed to do such things, but Draco could just say that he was curious and found himself wandering, and had not meant to, though he was sure the other would be able to sus out the lie. Tom seemed to know when he was not being entirely truthful more often than not, despite the shielding Draco did consistently around him. At least he knew his occlumency was good, constantly being tested since Tom knew legilimecy, though Draco was not sure if he was doing it on purpose or not.

Perusing the book aisles he managed to get himself rather far from the clerk where Tom was at, into the far corners of the somewhat large store, up a stairwell to the second floor and then once more in the back where the light seemed to almost not reach. He pulled out a obviously old book, the cover dark green with what seemed to be black vines décor painted upon it, though it bore no title. Looking behind him, sitting with his back against the wall, pulling his knees up, he propped the book open and began reading. It took several minutes before he heard Tom speaking with a group of familiar sounding boys...though he could not place the names. They were getting closer, but he did not bother with them.

The book was about as dark as Draco could have guessed from the feel around it. Dark Magic tended to have a certain...taste to it that one truly had to be raised around, or get used to, before they were able to note it quickly, and effectively. It listed a great deal of dark curses and dark charms as well-something which amused him more than anything. There were also plenty of explanations on on to use commonly light spells in more dark ways, and it was a good deal interesting. He was curious as to why the book was in florish and blotts, and it did not seem to be a book that they would keep, let alone sell. The store was well regarded as one of the best stores for light end magic around, and yet here was a book that was so obviously coated in dark arts. He wondered who had donated it, or if it had simply been here for a long while. Perhaps both, really.

"Draco!" The stern tone startled him slightly, having rarely heard Tom use that voice outside of right before he was bitten. That tone of voice ensured pain swiftly followed and he found himself hastily standing, his pupils dilating slightly from shock and a bit of fear, before he caught a glimpse of both Tom, and his little friends...which had Draco's heart racing in moments as he gazed upon them, and in but seconds Draco could no longer feel his feet on the floor, merely staring at nothing, his eyes unable to see anything but the screams in his mind. He was not breathing, something that he did not recognize himself, and could not even feel himself being moved, nor the haste within which he was yanked about. He did not feel anything, his grip on the book that he had been reading almost bruising, as he refused to let it go despite the unfeeling sensation that seemed to hold him captive.