34

It was, of course, his duty as a Prefect to escort the first years. Normally, Tom would be going with his female counterpart, he still could not be bothered to remember their name, but this year was going to be different, of course. He waved down the female prefect, who sullenly sat herself back down, and lifted Draco up with him by the arm. Draco seemed to gather his wits about him and gently corralled the first years towards himself and Tom, tapping a few of the less aware ones on the shoulder and ushering them towards the rest of the group. Tom felt a deep sense of satisfaction. He had not even had to tell Draco what to do and yet he just...did it. It was intoxicating. He wondered if this was because he naturally had this sort of atitude, or if it was because he had picked up on Tom's desire to have him take over the alternative Prefect duties. It did not matter, in any case, he supposed he got what he wanted. He waited momentarily for Draco to finish gathering everyone, and then left his arm out, silently but obviously showing exactly what he expected Draco to do, and Draco himself did not disappoint, curling his arm through his own.

Draco seemed to be less than enthused walking the halls of Hogwarts. Tom thought that he could put at least a bit of pep in his step. Than again, he supposed it really did not matter then did it? As long as they got to the Slytherin dorms in one piece, both would be happy, and it would seem Draco's constant furtitive looks about them to ensure none snuck up behind them or from the side sealed Tom's thoughts of whether or not Slytherin was discriminated against in two generations' time. It was clear that it still was. A bit annoying, considering the effort that Tom had put in during his school days to change that. Then again, it would seem Dumbledore was still at the school when Draco came, which made sense he supposed. Dippett had done what many had thought nigh impossible in dropping the house rivalries to an all time low, but that did not mean things did not still happen, and clear as it was it seemed that such rivalry still happened during Draco's own time as well.

Once the common room door finally came into view, Tom felt himself relax, while feeling Draco tense slightly. Of course the boy would tense up though, why would he not? Tom thought to himself. He thinks he is going to be walking into some sort of interrogation. So much further from the truth could be happening. None would dare challenge me, and so as long as I do not want it to happen, it will not. I will need to introduce him at the earliest convenience though, since he is not to be messed with by the other Slytherins. Yes, the demonstration at Dinner should be enough, but one never knew. After all, there were a few dull eggs in the basket...such as the Crabbees, and the Goyles, and even a few other noteable families had at least one member that was positively daft. Tom wanted to make sure that there was no mistake. The Gryffindors were bound to mess with Draco, and he really did not need jealous Slytherins decided to continue that cycle inside the common room. They had so many other things to worry about, after all.

"Now, Professor Slughorn is our Head of House," Tom continued in his dulcet tone. He had the rapt attention of every single first year, Draco having stepped just behind him, keeping his eyes towards the lake window. The entire common room was bathed in a sort of pale green glow. Tom found it comforting, he knew a few that did not, though, and thought it more than eerie. Personally it made him laugh at the thought. How one could not find comfort in the sweet sense of green was something Tom would not understand. Though he did like the way it intensified his own aura when he was agitated or upset. Green was a great color, and Tom knew quite well how to use color to his advantage. Soft toned blues were more gentle, and warm yellows comforting. For most, at least. "If you have any issues, take it up with him, or find either myself or Miss. Lucinda, Lucinda stand up and wave," The sulley Prefect stood and gave a half harted wave. "Either way, a few things to get out of the way. Do not ask stupid questions, do not fight outside of the common room, and under no circumstances are you to get caught doing anything even slightly against the rules. You can go against the rules, of course, just do not get caught doing it. If i have to vouge for anyone this year I am going to pluck their eyes out."

He was only half serious, but it was serious enough that the first years swallowed nervously and nodded to his words. "Wonderful, now, Slughorn should be entering the common room in a matter of minutes to speak with you. Once he leaves you may go to your bed. Dormatories are clearly labed by year, and you may choose whichever bunk you wish, no fighting over it though...If I hear anything from the boys dormatory you will wish you had kept your mouths shut." With a slight bow, Tom pulled Draco with him to sit next to Orion and Abraxas, who were seated together in the corner by the window that showed under the water of the Great Lake.

"You seemed to truly frighten several of the first years this time, Tom," Orion noted, leaving Tom's eyes to glint with the malice he tried so hard to avoid in front of teachers.

"Impressive, is it not?" He questioned, a smile on his lips as he watched the nervous first years acquaint themselves with the common room. "I think a good dose of fear should stop them from doing what I don't want them to do, at least for the moment."