Chapter 2 - Trost and the Cadets

Walking off the boat and onto the sidewalk I made my way to the refugee center catching up to Armin, Eren, and Mikasa. The streets of Trost were bustling with the masses of incoming refugees that were swarming into Trost from wall Maria. Getting into the refugee camp and splitting off from Armin and the others I stood in line for rations which were just a small loaf of bread.

After 20 minutes of waiting I finally got my loaf and headed towards the edge of camp to enjoy it in peace when I heard yelling in the distance. 'Great and I thought I could at least enjoy a meal in silence after all that wait.' Quickly pausing when I recognized it as Erens voice yelling back, deciding to walk over to see what had happened. Getting closer I could hear the conversation seeing Eren get kicked to the floor by a garrison member.

"You don't know what it's like! You haven't even seen it happen! How a Titan eats humans!" Eren yelled tears budding in his eyes. 'What did that soldier do to make him flip out like that,' I thought to myself.

"Shut it!" The guard responded walking closer to Eren threatening to hit him again. 'Is he really going to?' Thinking there is no way he would hit Eren.

"He's sorry!" Armin said standing in the way protection Eren before continuing. "He's frustrated because he's hungry that's why he lashed out. I'm really sorry!" Armin said before slightly bowing to the guard.

"Yeah, well. . ." The guard started seemingly shocked by Armin's apology, "you all wont starve because of what we're doing for you, Even kids need to have some gratitude." 'Easy for him to say when he was nowhere near what happened.'

"Okay!" Armin said enthusiastically back to the guard while they walked away. 'Nice job Armin.' I thought to myself

"Damn it, I'm not going to be grateful for someone like him." I heard Eren mutter quietly under his breath.

I walked back to my corner having heard enough and sat there for the rest of the day thinking about the events that happened today. 'There's no way this will last, there isn't nearly enough food to sustain this amount of people or space for that matter.'

A few days later and many refugees were put out to plough the fields however the food shortage could not be solved, and in the year following, 846, many refugees old enough to serve in the military were tasked with reclaiming wall maria. Of the 250,000 sent to reclaim the wall only 100 or so made it back alive. But the sacrifice of those people allowed the food shortage to get somewhat resolved.

'Next year is the cadets' I thought to myself while ripping out a particularly annoying weed from the field. 'I wonder if those 3 will be there. or if they will recognize me anymore.'

*****

1 Year Later:

"Attention!!!!" A voice boomed over the whole crowd and all chitchat and talking stopped. "Listen up you maggots! My name is Keith Shadis! And I was assigned the unpleasant task of training you scum, for the next 3 years I will be your instructor and take you from sewer rats to fully fledged soldiers capable of taking down a Titan!" 'He's quite the character.'

Shadis walked down from his ledge and went row to row screaming at them and breaking their nerves, ripping apart the weak willed people who had no business being soldiers.

"You there!" Shadis boomed at a blonde haired boy. 'Wait, isn't that Armin?' I thought to myself confirmed shortly after as he responds to Shadis.

"Yes, sir!!"

"Who are you?!"

"Armin Arlert, from Shiganshina!"