Chapter 7 - Graduation

I woke up in the morning, Annie still asleep beside me. Checking the clock it was almost six. We would have to leave in thirty minutes to go to Trost.

"Hey Annie, get up we have to leave soon." I whispered gently shaking her shoulder.

"No." She responded turning in the bed.

"Annieeeee, come on the instructor is gonna chew us out if you don't get up."

"Ugh, Fine." She threw the blanket off and started putting her hair up. I waited patiently while Annie took her sweet time. 'Oh my god how long does it take to get ready!' Finally heading outside after Annie was ready we were all put into carriages and shipped off to Trost where the ceremony would be held. 

The ride there was long and boring but after half a day we had arrived at Trost, everybody was funneled out of the carriages and told to wait inside a giant mess hall. I went and grabbed my lunch while sitting next to Annie and waiting for new orders to come in.

"How long do you think we're gonna sit here?" I asked Annie.

"Probably until they ge-"

"Is cadet L/N here?" A soldier barged into the hall for the 5th time. He had come through here before calling random cadets out of the mess hall and I guess I'm next.  

"That's me sir." I walked towards him holding my hand up.

"Please come with me." He said as I walked out the building following him. After a few minutes we were in front of a cabin and he opened the door walking inside. Following suit, inside was the instructor and  4 other cadets, most of which I recognized as Eren, Jean, Freckles, Shorty, and Potato girl. 

"Cadet L/N take a seat." He gestured to the one next to Eren. "You have been given the fifth spot in the top ten of the 104th and I expect great things from you. Here is your assessment for your work these past three years, read it when the ceremony is over." He handed me the tiny notebook just as I noticed the soldier who brought me leaving. 'He must be getting the rest of them, I hope Annie gets a spot.' After me came Annie, Bertholdt, Reiner, and obviously Mikasa with the top spot. We were then all brought outside before our entire class as Shadis made his speech.

"You have three options after you graduate from the cadets today! The Garrison Regiment, The Scout Regiment, and the Military Police. Of course the only ones allowed to join the Military Police are the top ten who were previously named! I am sure each of you will become decorated soldiers capable of great things on the battlefield! Dismissed!" Everyone then dispersed to go their separate ways. Before meeting in the mess hall to party. But I decided to read what was in my report first before going to find Annie. 

'Cadet Y/N, you have shown the most growth out of everyone in the 104th, in fact I didn't even expect you to graduate let alone reach the top ten, however your natural talent with odm gear and physical prowess alone placed you high, if hand to hand combat was a graded category I would give you the top spot. But your unwillingness to work in a team or co-operate with any of your fellow cadets makes you fall short of the top few. The 2nd day of camp you showed a natural talent with odm gear unlike most I have ever seen, but your recklessness and inability to focus hold you back during practices and make you fall short of other star students such as Mikasa and Reiner. In fact during your 2nd year you flew through the forest and broke your ankle having to be rescued by cadet Leonhart. 

I have seen you improve more and more however. The potential I see in you exceeds just the battle field however. Your calmness while in perilous situations is a skill all of its own. Such as your scuff with Mikasa. All that sets you back from being the best cadet is your inability to put forth full effort in anything besides what you enjoy. If you can harness the skills I know you have I have no doubt you will achieve great things no matter which regiment you join, I sincerely hope you don't let this talent of yours go to waste, good luck - Keith Shadis.'