Chapter 16 - The Scouts Pt. 2

"RING! RI-" I rolled over in my bed quickly slamming my alarm.

"It's morning already." I stumbled out of bed grabbing my clothes and getting ready. 'That dream, it's clearer than most the others. But I still can't understand anything. All it's showing me is a society and place I've never been. My best guess could be some inner city in Wall Sina.' I threw on my uniform and left my dorm. 'And the Tyburs, they have to be a noble family. And a very wealthy one at that.'

I stepped outside the dorms and started my trek towards the back of the camp to train. 'It's so beautiful in the mornings, the calmness, and quietness of nature only for me to hear at this hour.' I started up at the sky watching the birds fly around and sun rise but my serenity was disturbed by the neigh of a horse. I glanced over at the stables to see a rather unhappy horse, in fact it was my horse. 'Oh yeah, I haven't given him a name yet. Ugh, I hate naming things. I can never find one that's good, no name sounds right.' I looked around and tried to find some sort of inspiration when I saw it, it was perfect. 

An old small willow tree stopped my look for inspiration. It was far in the distance, and its slender branches held long fibrous dagger shaped leaves draping down like vines.

"That's a perfect name, You're going to be Willow." I said to the horse who looked rather confused, yet persisting in its annoyance it snorted in my face. I looked around and saw its water trough had been knocked over.

"You must've been thirsty, I'll go fill it up for you ok." I leaned over the stable door and grabbed the trough filling it up from a water pipe. Grabbing the filled trough I dragged it back to the horses stable leaving it and a happy horse inside. 

"There, all filled up, don't knock it over again though." The horse just ignored me and started drinking happily. 'Horses are so adorable, I should get going though, or I won't have enough time to train.' But before I could turn to leave Willow gives me a good few licks to show his appreciation. 

"Aw, thank you, I'll see you later Willow!" I wiped the horse saliva off my face and started walking. 'Ugh, I have to walk all the way to the back of the base to train, I really should've picked a better spot.' Then I remembered the tree from earlier. 'Hm, maybe I could go train at the willow tree, it's close and in a rather open area.' I walked the short pathway over and the before I knew it the sun was fully up, and the day had started. 

"Alright newbies, it's time for you to learn the most important part about our expeditions, the long range scouting formation. To start, after clearing past the initial town outside of Calaneth District, we split into the formation, led by commander Erwin this formation helps us avoid Titans rather than fight them all head on." Commander Ness his lecture for what seemed like forever making us jot notes and learn every nitty gritty to each part of the formation. 

"You rookies will be here," he pointed towards a specific part of the formation, "between the wagon defense squad, and the scout support squad." He looked back at the class. "Using this position all you will do is ride alongside spare horses and relay signals." I stared out the window ready for this lecture to end. He droned on for about another thirty minutes before dismissing us to go for the day. 

"Ugh, I'm so glad that lecture is over." I exhaled a breath of relieve while walking alongside Reiner.

"Yeah, Captain Ness can drone on about the same topics forever." He seemed rather exhausted as well. 

"Hey! Armin! Mikasa!" I turned back to see Eren running after us at full speed. 'He looks as annoying as usual.'

"Eren-" 

"It feels like it's been forever!" Eren cut her off. 

"Eren, have they mistreated you in any way?! Like studying and examining every bit of you or putting you through mental anguish?!" Mikasa grabbed Erens hands. 'Touch overdramatic Mikasa.'