Chapter 9 - Fall of Trost

The rest of the week flew by fast and tonight would be the night that the cadets would be picking their regiments. I woke up in the morning and went out to the mess hall to grab breakfast meeting Reiner and Bertholdt along the way. Although I didn't stay long I had cleaning duty on the cannons covering the walls and needed to get it done fast. 

'This is going to take a long time.' I slumped over begrudgingly wiping out the inside of cannon after cannon while making my way along the wall. 'At least I'm almost done, I can see the other squad not to far down.' I picked up the supplies and headed to the next cannon when an ear piercing crack of thunder rang out. 

"No, no, no. . . This can't be happening. Why now?." I slammed the cannon with my hand not even daring to look at what I knew would be the colossal titan. My heart began to race and memories of Shiganshina flooded in. 'This is the shittiest thing that could've possibly happened today.' Then a sickening boom filled my ears and I looked over to see the outer gate smashed open. 

"What are you doing! Get back to base cadet! The colossal titan response operation in underway!" A garrison yelled before running down the walls to warn others. 

"Sir yes sir!" I responded anchoring into the wall and descending towards the base. 

Arriving at the base everyone was frantic running around and grabbing as much gas as they could fit. I did the same filling my tanks to the brim and waiting outside for orders.

Soon a squad of garrison captains assembled everyone and started giving orders.

"As practiced you will now split into your squads! Under the command of the garrison you will clear titan and resupply troops! Vanguard will be lead by the cadets! Middle guard led by the-" The commanders voice began to fade out as my mind went blank, and then suddenly I felt a jolt of electricity throughout my whole body as everything faded to black.

*****

"Tonight's the night." A strange voice called out. "Marley wants to stage the attack over on this ridge huh. Well, it's better than just charging in headfirst like usual with the beast and jaw." 'Although I should probably scout the area first, Marley is waiting at Liberio for me to return.' The voice echoed through my mind like a thought rather than sound as I begun to see what this voice saw and think what it thought. 

Walking carefully through the trees and following the path Marley gave me to scout on something just seemed off. The path led me through an open field and it would be quite easy to spot me if they had soldiers stationed there. 'Maybe I should head back-' The ground beneath me gave way and a giant pitfall trap with spikes at the bottom emerged. Acting quickly I grabbed the edge. But it was to late soldiers filed out of the trees and lined cannons on every edge firing blowing my hand off sending me tumbling down into the pit impaled by spikes and unable to move. 

"So this is how it ends huh. . . My term was going to end soon anyways. At least they wont be able to take the Sprinter if I die here." The cannons launch a second round of artillery burning my titan to a crisp as I got incinerated along with it. 

.

.

.

A babies cry wailed out across an empty void as all I could sense was the tight but gentle grasp of a person holding me.

"It's a boy." A voice said in the distance.

"He's beautiful dear, what was the name we decided on again?" A deep voice asked.

"It was Y/N wasn't it? I think I'll go with that." After those words were spoke I felt myself pulled back into reality and my head throbbing like it was starting to split apart.