Chapter 24 - Confrontation

Annie POV:

It had only been a few minutes or so, before once again the door was being opened. 'Another. . ? My injuries have barely even started to heal. . .' I winced closing my eyes as the door creaked open slowly. The person entering made not a sound closing the door behind them without speaking a word.

"Hello. . ." A shiver went down my spine as I knew immediately who was there. However, I kept my eyes shut and didn't have the nerve to look at him. My heart pounded in my chest, a pit forming deep in my stomach. 'I- This is what I wanted. Why can't I say anything? '

"I'm not really a welcome guest here so we have to make this quick." His voice was hollow and dry, he knows everything now.

"I- I'm. . . sorry." Was all I could manage to say in a whisper.

"I don't blame you." He sighed sitting on the floor. "I understand about the propaganda Marley fed us, I thought the same before I arrived on Paradis."

"No. . ." I felt the hole in my stomach grow bigger a horrible feeling filling my body. "I came here knowing well the people here weren't bad. . . But, I did it anyways. I murdered thousands of people. . ."

"None of that matters to me, I don't care whether you knew or didn't. When I recovered my memories I realized this sick twisted world for the second time. But, I decided to side with Paradis, Reiner and Bertholdt both revealed themselves and I have no intensions of helping them either."

"Then, why did you come here?"

"Because. . . I still love you." His voice was hushed and dejected. "I just, I don't understand why. Why you led me on and pretended to love me. Why didn't you kill me back at that lake?" I opened my eyes to look him in the face and saw nothing but Betrayal and heart break.

"I couldn't. I tried, I tried to convince myself it was the right thing to do, it was part of my mission. But. I just couldn't make myself believe that." Tears welled up in the corners of my eyes stinging painfully. "It wasn't pretend, I did love you."

"Then you knew, you knew you'd betray me, and you did it anyways." He looked down at the ground avoiding my gaze.

"I know, and there's nothing I regret more than that." By now the tears had dripped down my face unable to stop them. "I let them capture me like this so that I could at least talk to you one more time."

"Huh?" 

"Y/N, I'm sorry for how I used you, I. . . I couldn't cope with the sins I committed, so I ran to you. I fell in love with you without even realizing and used you to feel better about myself." I paused staring back at the ground shamefully.

"What are you-" 

"I'm a selfish person, I know you'll never forgive me, not that I'm asking for forgiveness. I don't deserve that luxury." Silence filled the room neither speaking a word until a chuckle tore the tension apart. 'Y/N is laughing? ' The chuckle turned into a laughter as he laid back on the ground. 

"Here I thought I was going to be able to let go of you!" He smiled before getting up and sighing. "Sorry, but you're not going to rot in here. I have a much better idea." He tugged the shackles towards him and started unlocking them one by one.