Chapter 12 - The Operation to Retake Trost

"Attentionnnnnn!" A voice bellowed from the top of the wall. "I will now explain to you the details of the Trost Recovery Operation! The objective of this operation is to seal the hole in the demolished gate!" It was the commander of the garrison himself Pyxis.

"Seal it? How?" I heard Marco mumble to himself. 'Are they going to use Eren? But how is he going to seal it?"

"As for how we'll accomplish this, let me start by introducing this fellow!" Eren stepped forward from behind the commander. "This is Eren Jaeger, a member of the Cadets!" I looked around and everybody seemed surprised. 'What do they expect it's not like we could seal it with anything other than him.' "He is the successful result of our top secret Titan transformation experiments. He is able to fabricate a Titan body at will and control it!"

"He's lying, there's no way he is some experiment. If he was then they never would've fired on him in the first place." I said aloud to Annie.

"The commander is just trying to somehow inspire the rest of the soldiers here." Annie reasoned. 

"In Titan form he will lift that giant boulder near the front gate, carry it to the wrecked gate, and seal the hole!" He looked around at the crowd beneath him. "You're to defend him from the other Titans while he carries the rock." 'There's no way he can carry that right? It's almost as tall as a 15 meter Titan! There's no way he's that strong.' The other people thought the same however were much more vocal as droves began to defect and leave criticizing the plan and calling it insane.

"What do you take us for! We're not disposable blades, you know!" Daz screamed out.

"What do you take humanity for!? Rules for! It's within my authority to execute you right here!" A garrison solider yelled out drawing his blades

"Fine by me, it's a hundred times better than being eaten by a Titan!" 

"I ain't dying gonna die here today! I'm outta here!" Another man screamed leaving and walking away. 'This isn't good, if fighting breaks out between the defectors and the loyalists there'll be no one left to plug the hole in the first place.' After he spoke more and more people joined him all walking away.

"By my order. . . All who leave now are absolved of their crime! Those who've succumbed to the terror of the Titans once before can never face them again! Anyone who has experienced their horror may leave!" The commander yelled atop the wall stopping the fighting. 'What's his plan here? No way he just lets them leave.' "And, those who want their family and loved ones to experience that same horror may leave as well!" He continued, most of the soldiers stopping in their tracks, the soldiers steeled whatever small resolve they had left and turned around rejoining the rest of the troops. 

"Lets discuss four years ago. Namely the operation to retake Wall Maria. I'm sure none of this needs saying, calling it a 'recovery operation' gave it a nice ring, but it was essentially a way to dispose of the unemployed masses. That the government couldn't support!" Tired of the commanders words I blanked out thinking about the memories I saw during Trost. 

'It's all just bits and pieces but I think I lived some place fancy before coming here based on the stuff I've never seen before. But what are the warriors? I've never heard anything about a 'warrior program' here. And what was that first memory, It felt. . . Different, like it wasn't me. Why would I have memories of somebody else? And what is Marley and Eldia? Are they some sort of cities.' I looked over at Annie. 'Maybe if I asked her she'd know something.' Just as I was about to say something. 'Although, I don't really want to worry her, if she doesn't know what I'm talking about she'd think I'm going crazy or something.

"If Wall Rose is destroyed, Wall Sina won't be able to support even half of our population! If Humans go extinct it won't be to Titans! It will be from us killing each other!" The commander paused speaking something to himself before continuing. "I kindly ask of you, Please die here!" The commander walked back out of sight as the rest of the soldiers prepared splitting off into their squads.