Chapter 4 - Training and Tears

1 Year After Joining the Cadets

It had been a year and I had improved I had grown a lot both physically and in skill, I was 5'8 my new self palling in comparison to when I had joined. Even Annie was impressed with how much I'd learnt. And in that time I had gotten a lot closer with her almost being what I would call friends although I don't know if she thinks of it that way.

"I taught you all I know Y/N. You don't have to train with me anymore." She said slumping against a tree covered in sweat from our last sparring session. 

"Why would I wanna stop training with you anyways." Smiling and chuckling at the idea.

"I just assumed you did it because you wanted to get stronger so." She moved her bangs out her face and stood up.

"It started out like that, but now I can't imagine myself training with anybody else." I said bumping her shoulder with my elbow. "Besides none of the losers here could keep up with me anyways."

"Thank you." She said with the closest thing I've seen to a smile on her face since I've got here. 'She should smile more often.'

"Um, your welcome." I said looking away slightly and feeling knots in my stomach.

"I can't wait for odm training." I told her trying to get distract myself from whatever I was feeling. 

"Last time I used them it felt so nice, so free."

"When did you use odm gear before." She asked seeming somewhat intrigued. 

A smile came over my face as I got excited, but memories of Shiganshina quickly flooded in. "It wasn't really the best of circumstances."

"What do you mean?" She tilted her head in confusion

"It was 2 years ago, almost 3 now." Her eyes widened as she seemed to see what I was getting at. "I woke up in Shiganshina the day the walls were broke and using a dead soldiers odm gear I escaped onto one of the rescue boats." She looked down almost dejected and like she was sorry. 

"What is it?" I asked her.

"Nothing, just that would be a nightmare." She paused looking like she was thinking of something to say. "Hey Y/N."

"Yeah?"

"What would you do to the people who broke down the walls?"

"If I got the opportunity I would just ask them why. I honestly find it hard to believe that someone could do something that horrible without a somewhat decent reason." She seemed to return to her normal self after that and I felt relieved.

"Even after everything they did, wouldn't you wanna kill them or torture them?"

"No, torture in my opinion is meaningless, all it's used for is to satisfy some ones revenge."

"Do you not want revenge?" She looked genuinely curious.

"Not really, I just want to find out what happened to me before the walls broke."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Right I never told you, well I don't exactly remember any of my live before Shiganshina. So I want to go back there and figure out who I was, what life I lived, who my parents were. And I feel getting back to Shiganshina is the only way I can do that." I said started to feel a little sad. "But every time I try to remember anything about it all I see is the one memory of my parents being eaten through the eyes of a titan." Her eyes widened and I felt the memory play in my head getting lost in my thoughts.