Chapter 31 - Mindless

It was now morning, the sun had just risen and a brisk cool wind was blowing over the city.

"Oi, go wake up the others. We're leaving," Levi ordered.

"Yes sir," I replied, opening the curtains and stepping inside the carriage. They were all still sleeping, they looked peaceful. "Get up. We're leaving." I walked by everyone, shaking one awake and moving onto the next.

"It's morning already?" Jean grumbled, "I feel like I only just fell asleep."

"Yeah, I feel like I took a short nap," Sasha yawned.

"Where's Captain Levi?" Armin asked.

"He's outside," I replied while waking Mikasa up, "get up, we're leaving."

"What?" Her eyes flickered open, and when she turned to look at me she had a strange look on her face.

"I said we are leaving, get ready." I sat down in one of the newly vacated spots, 'no point in leaving since I'm going to riding in here with Historia and Eren anyways.' Both of them had the same idea, also sitting in their seats after waking up.

"Hey, Eren. Don't do anything stupid, and please stay safe." Mikasa told him, standing by the door, the last to leave.

"Tch, just worry about yourself." He rolled his eyes. Mikasa stepped out of the carriage, and not long after we started the long ride. 

The carriage was silent, it only broken by the occasional chatter from Eren or Historia. I however just sat in my seat, leaning my head back against the wall and relaxing.

'I should at least think of a plan for if the MPs manage to find us. It's not like me or Eren can just transform in the middle of Trost,' I tilted my head down and saw the muskets left on the floor, untouched. 'That might work,' I reached down grabbing one of them.

"What are you doing?" Eren asked.

"I'm checking to see if these are loaded," I responded sliding the deadbolt open and looking inside.

"Why?" He asked. I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Why do you think?" I held the gun in a firing position and mimicked shooting, "bang."

"You really think we will have to kill other people?" He said as if it was some foreign idea.

"If people didn't need to kill each other, then why would we have guns made for that exact purpose? There is people that don't agree with our plan to retake Wall Maria, and the only way to stop them right now is to put a bullet in them."

That seemed to strike a chord in him.

"Here," I tossed him one of the muskets. "This is the only thing we have to protect ourselves with. You should at least have it close."

"Yeah..." He trailed off, staring down at the gun. But then, in the distance loud sounds of gunshots rang out, startling everybody.

"Gunshots?" I heard the man riding the horse whisper to himself, before gasping at something. All three of us exchanged worried looks before Eren peaked his head out through the curtain.

"What's going on?!" He asked.

"Stay in there!" He cracked the reins on the horse, trying to speed up. Just then, I heard a small noise from behind me. I whipped my head around and saw a tear in the curtain covering us, as well as a anchor from odm gear. 'I see.' I grabbed my musket and stood up. Just then the anchor retracted ripping off the curtain and exposing us inside. The man who had done it was flying above holding some sort of gun. 'They have a new weapon? ' Nevertheless I aimed and fired my musket straight into him, a petrified look on his face as he fell out of the air and slid across the ground, but I was too slow, he had fired something into Historia, and she was out cold on the floor.