Chapter 21 - Utgard Castle

"I couldn't see them in the darkness, but then the moon. . ." Lynne trailed off her eyes wide in fear.

"Why? Why can they move?" Gelgar spoke rhetorically. "It's been so long since the sun set!"

"What's going on here?" Christa whispered to herself in a hushed voice.

"Hey! Look at that! It's huge! What the hell is that thing? A Titan?" Connie pointed towards an exceptionally large Titan covered in fur with arms draped down far past its knees. 'Him, that's the one behind this. That one must've turned all of Ragako into Titans.' I clenched my fist in frustration. 

'What do I even do? Let the scouts try and take care of all the Titans? But for just the four of them. . .' I looked back at the rest of them and saw Reiner and Berthold's faces, it was something I've never seen on Bertholdt let alone Reiner. Fear.

'What is with them? They've been acting weird lately, between Reiner's conversations with Ymir and Connie, and Berthold's unusual quietness. It's making me worried. . . Maybe something about this situation just flipped a switch in them? '  

"Hey, you two ok?" I put my hand on both their shoulders and snapped them out of their trance.

"O-Oh, yeah, I'm just a little shook is all." Bertholdt said followed by a nod from Reiner. 

Suddenly a large Titan slammed into the tower making all of us stumble and lose our balance. 'I need to make a decision now. If I'm going to transform I'll do it before any of them die. Staying hidden isn't worth their lives.' I started walking over to the edge mustering my courage before feeling a hand on my shoulder stop me.

"Stand back, rookies. Leave it to us. It's time to show off our skills to you all." It was Nanaba. She took her hand off my shoulder and walked to the edge, her and her squad mates all unsheathed their blades jumping off of the castle tower to engage with the Titans. I immediately leaned over the edge to watch. I saw them fly down and take out the large one shaking the tower doubling as an attempt to block all the smaller ones from getting in. However their plan didn't work, proven by Lynne's arrival.

"The Titans broke through. Go back and form some sort of barricade. If you can't block them, retreat back up here as a last resort. But, that doesn't mean we'll be able to help you though. I'm not sure if I'll be alive if it comes to that. . . Understood!?"

"Yes sir!" We barked back dashing down the stairs to try and stop the Titans. Following the group down the staircase I saw Reiner dashing ahead and grabbing a torch.

"I'll go see how far they've come through! You guys grab rods, or boards or whatever!" He looked back at the rest of us from ahead. "Bring whatever you can carry!"

"Hey! Wait up Reiner! Hold on!" Bertholdt dashed in front of us to try and catch up to him.

"Who does he think he is always taking the most dangerous jobs! Come on, man!" Connie said.

"Yeah, that's a bad habit of his." Bertholdt said. Nevertheless, we stopped and took everything we could, Ymir and Connie even grabbed a spare cannon they saw in the back of the storeroom, I looked around myself and ended up finding a musket and a few rounds laying around near the cannon that Connie didn't snatch up. 'Lets see if I still remember how to use these things.' I cocked the gun back and loaded a round into the musket. I ran downstairs after the rest of them before hearing a yell from Reiner. 

"They're here!!!!! Bring something Quick!" He screamed. I immediately rushed down the stairs as fast as I could passing Connie and the rest. I stopped at the top of the stairwell and saw that Bertholdt had already passed me and was pushing the Titan back with Reiner's help. Seeing Ymir, Connie, and Christa wheeling the Cannon behind me I stepped back. 'This'll be fun to watch.'