Birthday

Leo's birthday: July seventh

   was he just not good enough? Was he unimportant? less special than everyone and everything else?

   Leo watched as Annabeth looked like she was having the time of her life, surrounded by all her siblings, all her friends, presents and three whole cakes for everyone. 

   custom-made and decorated too. One a beautiful owl, one an olive tree stretching out across the entire sheet cake, its wood and leaves enveloping an olive at the bottom corner. and the last one was a doodle cake of school supplies with not-so-fancy writing saying HPAPY BRTHADY ISE IGRL.

   courtesy of Percy, of course.

   he sat smiling, looking happy like an extra in a set.

   why did she get all of these things? I died for these people and didn't even get a thank you . . . much less a birthday party.

   five days prior, there were no such balloons, no treats, and all day long Leo had hoped for even the littlest ¨happy birthday dude!¨ or even a simple high five and smile. the feeling of emptiness settled in his gut as all he wanted to do as the day went on was run to the bunker and cry.

   though eventually, against any therapist's advice he came to terms People had just forgotten about him or decided his date of birth wasn't worth the time and effort.

   as everyone started to crowd the birthday girl with presents Leo figured it was a cue to release his own gift.

   he had spent an entire month at least preparing a custom colossal firework show on some of the bigger achievements on her quests. he had Percy over to tell him all about Annabeth, and just by the way he had talked when he did something so simple as say her name, you could see how much he loved her.

   oh, how he wished that he too had someone who cared as much for him.

   he nodded over to Percy, who in turn, made Annabeth flip to look behind her, where the show would be.

   and the second he pressed a small button it started.

   beautifully made explosions of her attainments over her life played. shaped and colours invaded the sky, images from battling Polyphemus, to holding up the sky. navigating the labyrinth. 

   "wow man, where was this for my birthday" "OH GEEZ! Jason! don't creep up on me like that!" Leo hissed, "And besides, I think learning all about imperial gold to make you a new SHRINKABLE coin-sword was pretty good, no?" Jason laughed.

   "at least I remembered yours" Leo muttered.

   "What was that?" Jason asked. Leo looked over, brows scrunched, "Pardon?" "you said something" his voice was oddly stern, "uh- I don't believe I did" 

   why was he this good at acting man? it was starting to get kind of freaky.

   Jason shrugged and turned back to the scene, now showing Leo's personal favourite, Annabeth standing back to the crowd, dagger in hand while a shiny white coin was glittering right above her head, AKA the mark of Athena.

   after that, it showed Percy and Annabeth falling, holding each other tight as they plummeted into Tartarus.

   it had been a full year since, so Leo figured it was fine to put that one in there.

   as it went on Leo smiled cheerfully, though on the inside all he wanted to do was go home (the bunker) and curl up and cry.

   and he was sure if there weren't so many people here he would have cried right there.