Twelve: Annabeth is trying to be a therapist

You don't know what it feels like

You don't know what it feels like. To be confused with what you want.

Melanie was not really in the mood to sleep. She was scared of the nightmares to come. Ever since she went to the camp, the voice had returned more often than she would like.

But there she was. Curled up under a blanket of Medusa. Percy had offered to take the first watch. Melanie tried to resist, but he said that she could use some sleep. Melanie didn't know if that sounded offensive to her, but it sure felt like.

Melanie her head was screaming with questions.

Who was her dad?

What was she even doing here?

Why does it smell like a rotting body here?

Slowly Melanie her brain started to feel sleepy, as the memories of the eventfull day started to disappear in the back of her mind.

In her dream. Melanie was standing in the same dark hallway she had seen before. But now it seemed lighter, more welcoming. She could see rough lines edged in the wall; her feet started walking closer.

Melanie could make out faint drawing lines.

People were standing on a cliff, looking down. There was something behind them, but Melanie couldn't make out the details of the drawing. It seemed like something was covering the point of the drawing.

Melanie tried to recognize the drawing. But no myth came to her mind.

Footsteps echoed through the hall and a shadow fell on her face. Should she turn around?

Melanie slowly turned to see, but all she could make out was a rippling in the wall and nothing left that could have made the sounds. Her hand reached for the slight bulge that had appeared in the wall, but she was stuck. Her feet didn't move.

She looked down, but no matter how hard she tried. She didn't move an inch.

A loud 'Bang', erupted from the wall, making Melanie flinch. The brownish stones crumbled before her eyes. Not leaving a single piece behind.

"You can do that." The voice whispered in her head. Melanie turned around, the voice seemed louder and more demanding than before. "If you just give in."

Melanie tried to move. But just like in all dreams, she was stuck.

"Just give in, Melanie." Her headache seemed to have returned as the voice kept on talking. Slow pain stabs took over her system. She was back in the pain cycle.

"Just hurt him, Melanie." Her mind stopped working as the voice referred to her best friend, again.

"Be worthy, to be a child of mine."

Melanie screamed.

~~

She frantically punched around as she woke up in a start. Her mind was still burning with the headache the dream had left her.