Twenty-five: the beginning

Everything comes to an end

Melanie did not enjoy having her ice cream fall to the ground. But there she was. Standing in front of Annabeth who burst out of laughter. "That's-so-funny." The daughter of Athena said with deep breaths. Melanie frowned. "I'm glad my misery amuses you." She cleaned herself up with a napkin the ice-cream worker handed her.

"I'm sorry, I will get you another one." The worker apologized to her. "Thanks," Melanie mumbled. Not much later they found themselves walking side-by-side through the streets of New York City.

"You know what's interesting?" Melanie asked Annabeth who was looking at a couple of kids running around, playing tag. "What?" She turned her gaze away from the small children. Melanie figured Annabeth never had that childhood. Maybe she longed for it.

"This is called New Amsterdam."

Annabeth raised her eyebrows. "Yes, I know." Melanie's smile faded a little bit. "Right, I'm so dumb. You already know that, you're a Athena child after all." She apologised.

Suddenly, the blonde's face softened. "I didn't mean that in the same way. What else do you know?" Melanie bit her lip. "That I want to travel the world?"

Annabeth smiled. "Yeah, wouldn't it be amazing to see all the different buildings and styles?" Melanie nodded. They walked past a hotdog stand. She felt eyes prick in the back of her neck. She looked behind her, but there were just New Yorkers walking on the streets.

Melanie doubted it.

No monster.

"You feel it?" Annabeth muttered. "Yeah." They started walking fast. The feeling started to get closer. Without warning she was yanked into a dark alley. Melanie yelped as she rolled against the wall. Annabeth fell onto her.

Her eyes searched for the attacker. She pushed Annabeth off her and walked with her back turned to the alley backwards. Her boomerang glinted in the sunlight bronze. Annabeth stood next to her with a dagger out.

Their ice cream was down on the ground, but long forgotten.

"I can't even enjoy an ice cream." She mumbled. Annabeth grinned at her. "Welcome to my life."

There were three men with big coats standing in front of them. But they looked fragile. In their hands they had bone swords and one had a shield. Melanie scanned over the figures. They were skeletons.

She froze. The one on the left was a thirty-five year old serial killer who killed thirteen people in four years. The middle one was a former police officer caught blackmailing and scamming innocent people. The one on the right was guilty of bombing a mental health hospital.

Why were dangerous criminals standing in front of them? Why were they skeletons? And why the fuck did Melanie almost see them with flesh on their bones?