Four: Christmas

Family

Family

the twenty-fourth of December

I smiled, taking in the scene around the table. The gathering was small, but it felt just right. To my right sat my best friend, his slightly longer hair now adorned with playful curls that hinted at his effort to look presentable. His sea-green eyes were fixed on his mother, radiating pure happiness that manifested in his trademark troublemaker smile—a mischievous curve that never failed to lift my spirits. My gaze then shifted to the woman across from him, more of a mother to me than my own could ever be. Her brown hair, now graced with gray streaks, framed a face that defied time with its youthful glow. Sparkling blue eyes spoke of a warmth that transcended words, and the few wrinkles etched on her skin hinted at a life well-lived. Her smile, ever-welcoming, had a magical quality that made anyone feel instantly at home. As I absorbed the sight of them, a warm feeling spread through my stomach, a comforting reminder of the love that surrounded me.

~~

the twenty-fourth of December

MELANIE

sighed and closed the book she was reading. "Yes," she drew the words out. "How many times do I have to repeat it?" She turned her head towards the baffled Percy Jackson. "I'm dating Matthew." Percy rolled his eyes and sat down next to her on the bed. 'My ears work perfectly fine, but why!?' he asked.

She stood up, placing the book back in his unused bookshelf. Percy sighed. "When did this even happen? His sister is Clarisse.' He looked at her, all serious. 'His father is Ares.'

Melanie flicked his head backward. 'I know, and I know he is nothing like Ares.' She smirked at Percy's baffled expression.

Melanie turned around, catching the hint of embarrassment in Percy's voice as he asked, 'How was it? The kiss?'

Percy's ears turned red, and his eyes darted between Melanie and the ceiling. She sat down next to him. 'It was weird, to be honest.' She threw her body backward, and Percy followed. Both stared at the ceiling. 'Like, he was all sweet about it. It was like lip-pressing, you know.' She heard him hum softly next to her. 'Like those awkward kisses?' Melanie nodded. 'Yeah, it wasn't awkward for us, but there wasn't much action.'

'Has there been more action?'

'Nah, just a few more kisses. Nothing mind-blowing.' Percy sat up, giving her a serious look. 'It's serious for me! I haven't had my first kiss yet! Besides, Matthew's kissing my best friend; I gotta know how to tease him.' His voice creaked as he spoke about his lack of romance.

She gave him a reassuring pat on the leg. 'Your time will come, Starfish.'

He narrowed his eyes. 'What does he even see in you? You have no personality, that's nice anyway.' She fake gasped. 'At least I have a personality.' He grumbled something inaudible, so she smiled at him. 'Let's agree we have more personality than smelly Gabe.'

The man that had mysteriously left the Jackson household.

Percy sighed and fiddled with his hands. "I still find it weird," he said, his voice turning serious. Melanie nodded in agreement. "Correct."

"But why has your brother been threatening your mother in the name of your father?"

Shrugging, Melanie replied, "Maybe because he's unable to get to me?" She had no clue about her father's intentions, and she hadn't found the heart to reveal to Percy who her father truly was.

Percy sighed. "Anyway, I'm glad he could help you." Reflecting on their peculiar circumstances as children of gods with superpowers,

Melanie sat up, and Percy followed suit. Turning to him, she suggested, "Want to bake cookies for Annabeth?"

Percy tilted his head in confusion. "I thought you hated her?"

Rolling her eyes, Melanie clarified, "Hate is a strong word. She's just annoying in certain ways." Percy shrugged and stood up. "I will ask Mom for the ingredients."

Let's just say the kitchen wasn't so clean after. (Why can't Percy mix dough like a normal person?)

~~

"Did you always smell this bad?" Ava asked as she was leaning on Justin. The four friends were seated on the couch watching a cozy Christmas movie. He rolled his eyes at her. "I don't smell bad, it's yourself that you are smelling."

She gasped, offended and nudged his head to the side. Justin chuckled and shrugged his shoulders. "It's the truth," He titled his head backwards to stare at Matthew and Melanie who were setting up the snacks. 'Melanie, how are you surviving with this stink bomb?" He yelped when Ava started tickling his sides in revenge.

The dark-haired girl grinned. "I've grown to be immune." Matthew handed her some bowls with popcorn and she walked to the three friends to set it on the table.

Ava let herself fall off the couch in a dramatic way. "Betrayed!" She gasped. "By my friends!" She laid a hand over her hearth.

Melanie gently kicked her legs. "Up, we all need to sit down." Ava grumbled and returned to her spot on the couch.

Arms wrapped around Melanie from behind and guided her to sit next to Ava. She blushed and felt Matthew sit down next to her.

"Is everyone ready?" Tim asked with the controller in his hand. The four friends all nodded their heads. The familiar tunes of Hallmark entered the living room.

A lovely Christmas movie played out in front of them.

They had nothing to worry about anymore. 

~~

Where we return,

Merry Christmas. I have vacation now, well I got a lot of things to do. My motivation has sort of returned so if homework doesn't drown me, I will be able to write.

Hope you have a lovely day. Sorry, for the short chapter. Next one will be intresting and SOM will officialy start.

What are you going to do for the holidays?

Adíos.

Edited? 🔴