Three: fading

The things you make me feel

The sixteenth of November.

I stood there. My gaze looked up to him. His hair hung before his eyes, but I felt his heavy look. Watching me. The air around me seemed to disappear as he took a step closer, blocking the coldness of the evening wind. My eyes traced the hard lines of his face. I just realized how intimidating he looked to the people who didn't know him. Dark eyes, sharp nose and plump lips. He watched me closely and slowly moved his gaze to my lips. He leaned closer. The sound of his low voice whispered through the cold night. "Can I-."

~~
The sixteenth of November.

MELANIE

took a sip of her cold beverage. Her eyes watched Matthew picking up a bowling ball. He grinned at her. "This is how it works." He said, with a teasing tone.

Melanie had thrown zero points the last two rounds, and was slowly falling behind. She raised her eyebrows at her. "I'm waiting."

With much force, he threw the ball into the lane. She watched as it went straight for the gutter. Melanie laughed loudly, eyes twinkling. Matthew scratched the back of his neck. "Right..."

He looked at her and smiled at her happy face. He shrugged his shoulders. "I guess you can do better?" Melanie picked up the green ball and stood there. Ready to throw it.

She squinted her eyes and with a much softer throw she let the ball go. Her eyes widened and she heard Matthew gasp behind her. "I think a strike is better than zero points... isn't it Matt?" She gave him a challenging look.

"Glad you can count." He responded back, making Melanie smile. "Learned from the best." She said while walking past him to eat a small snack. She heard him chuckle. He stood there with a bowling ball in his hands. "My last throw better be good." She heard him whisper under his breath.

Melanie watched in amazement as the ball was hurled towards the pins with incredible speed.

'Ping!'

Matthew groaned and fell to his knees. Melanie laughed loudly. "Your prayer worked! It's more than zero." She gave him a reassuring pat on his shoulder, before grabbing the bowling ball. Matthew stood up and sat down on the bench.

A random thought occurred to Melanie in her mind. "If we go with Annabeth and the others bowling one day. Do you think she will calculate every throw with exact measurements to get the perfect throw?"

He raised his eyebrows at her, and an expression that she couldn't decipher flashed across his face. "Honestly, I don't know."

Melanie shrugged and rolled the ball down the lane. A victorious smile formed on her face as watched all the pins fall down.