Fourteen: Killing Percy

The feeling off  fear

The feeling off fear.

Melanie was not ready to drown. She held onto Percy like her life depended on it, she was screaming at him in his ear all the way down till she felt cold water hit her hard. Her nerves screamed in pain, as her head felt dizzy when she slowly sank.

To slow.

Melanie her body shook slightly as her arms tightened around Percy, her throat was already closing up. The memory she utterly despised threatened to come forward.

Lake. Mother. Alone.

Those words kept repeating in her head. She needed air. She needed to get out of here. With her eyes closed she pushed away from Percy who grunted at the impact. She kicked her legs around, desperately trying to swim up. Flashes of small Melanie invaded her brain, so lost.

Air. She needed air.

There was no air. A headache started to from in her head, her legs started to slow down as she felt fatigue take over her senses. No, she needed to stay alive. She needed to kill Percy.

"That's right, my dear. Kill him!" The man's voice cackled in her ear. Melanie opened her eyes. She screamed in horror.

Arms wrapped around her, she desperately tried to escape the grip. But Percy his voice sounded next to her. "Breathe." Melanie wanted to punch him and tell him he had lost his mind, but her body betrayed her. Fresh air invaded her lungs as she took a breath.

An air bubble was formed around her head. Melanie looked with a confused face to Percy, who just grinned.

"See, everything is okay."

Melanie felt anger rising in her chest as she pushed Percy away from her. "You fucking asshole! You know I hate water! I fucking nearly drowned because you just- just." Melanie her voice died. Something behind Percy had appeared.

a woman the colour of the water, a ghost in the current, floating just above the sword. She had long billowing hair, and her eyes, barely visible, were green like Percy his eyes. Melanie pointed behind Percy. Who looked confused and turned around.

"Mum?" Percy his voice cracked, Melanie could feel his emotion even when she hated him.

"No, child, only a messenger, though your mother's fate is not as hopeless as you believe. Go to the beach in Santa Monica."

"What?" Melanie said. This woman was speaking nonsense.

"It is your father's will. Before you descend into the Underworld, you must go to Santa Monica. Please, Percy, I cannot stay long. The river here is too foul for my presence."

The woman was right, the river was polluted. Plastic floated past her and pieces of wood scrambler her feet from time to time. "But ..." Percy stuttered. "Who—how did you—"