Twenty-two: Snakes

Just when I thought it was over

Melanie did not really like burning her shrouds. Lee Fletcher had healed her broken wrist the second she had entered camp. He had scolded her for not coming right away. They were the first heroes to return alive since Luke, so they were treated like celebrities.

According to camp tradition, they wore laurel wreaths to a big feast prepared in their honor, then led a procession down to the bonfire, where they got to burn the burial shrouds our cabins had made for them in their absence.

Annabeth's shroud was so beautiful—gray silk with embroidered owls—Percy had told Annabeth that it seemed a shame not to bury her in it. Annabeth had punched him and told him to shut up. Melanie just laughed it off.

Percy had no other cabin mates. So, the Ares cabin made the worst creative project she had ever seen. They had grabbed an old bedsheet and painted smiley faces with X'ed-out eyes around the border, and the word LOSER painted really big in the middle.

The Hermes and Apollo cabin had teamed up to make Melanie her shroud. It was green with black. Blue and golden swords and arrows were painted on it. Tim had said to her that Ava and him came up with the idea, after she had returned without an arrow or sword hitting her. Sure, the color scheme wasn't really it. But the though behind it was nice.

Grover had gotten a new searcher's license from the Council of Cloven. Ava had told Melanie that her sister would really love to meet her. She quotes; 'I need to see someone that bad at archery.' Ava was not staying the school year. She was attending the same school Melanie was going to.

She saw Matthew trying to calm down Clarisse, who had just been talking to Percy. He waved at her with a smile on his face. His platinum blond hair shining in the sun.

She found Tim and Justin at the Hermes table and sat down in between them. Wating for Dionysus's welcome speech.

"So, you guys missed me?" She asked. Tim raised his eyebrows. "I didn't even notice you were gone." He said sarcastically, his eyes were watching Luke who was talking to Silena. "Tim, means you aced the quest so fast that he couldn't even finish his movie marathon before you returned." Justin slapped Tim his arm, who nodded. "Yeah, that."

"You're both so weird."

"we're not." Tim protested, a small smile formed on his face. Annabeth walked passed them to the Athena table. She have small smile to the three friends. "Hey, want to go get an ice cream with me and Luke tomorrow?" Tim asked the blonde.

Justin raised his head. "Oh, can I come too?"

"Yeah, I want to go too." Melanie added.

Tim pursed his lips. Annabeth shook her head. "No, sorry. I can't." Melanie was sure that the girl had nothing to do. Tim looked deflated. "Yeah, sure another time." His dark blue eyes seemed sad.