Eighteen: Annabeth can apparently have a dog later in her life

​​​​​​​Everyone needs someone to rely on, to trust

​​​​​​​Everyone needs someone to rely on, to trust. Someone they can talk too.

Melanie was not ready to go in the world of the Dead.

But there she was. Standing in the shadows of Valencia Boulevard, looking up to the big golden letters etched in the black marble. 'DOA RECORDING STUDIOS' it said. Melanie her gaze shifted downwards to the words stencilled on the glass doors; 'NO SOLICITORS, NO LOITERING, NO LIVING'.

She grinned at her friends. "Pretty ironic, isn't it?" Annabeth rolled her eyes. "Alright, Percy?" The blond-haired girl looked at Percy who looked rather nervous.

"Yeah, right. Just remember the plan, nothing can go wrong without a plan."

None of them looked convinced. "Right," Grover mumbled.

"Do you have like a plan B?" Annabeth asked. "Don't think too negative, plan A works most of the time, doesn't it Melanie?" The green-eyed girl looked up surprised by the name drop. She may have been distracted by the weird feeling in her stomach.

She felt drawn to the place. Something told her that she needed to see what was waiting inside for her. But she had a feeling it wasn't something nice, more like the nightmare or her father. Which in both cases was worse than the horrible feeling when she had almost drowned.

No, wait. It was all hell. Her father was the problem, he was responsible for all three scenarios.

"Right, like our plan to stay at Yancy Academy."

"See, even Melanie is negative." Annabeth pointed out.

"I'm always negative, sunshine."

"Not when you talk about Star Wars." The girl said with a raised eyebrow.

"Both of you need to stop thinking negative." Percy interrupted the stare down between the two. "Right, we're entering the Land of the Dead, and I- I mean we," She pointed at herself and the two friends next to Percy, "Shouldn't be negative? Not really in good odds here, Jackson. We're all alive, entering in forbidden territory."

Percy bit his lip and took the pearls out of his pocket, the four milky spheres that the Nereid had given him in Santa Monica was his backup plan. His black hair hung for his eyes, and Melanie noticed how much he had changed over the journey.

He seemed tired and pressured by the constant thought of being a thief and saving the world. Too much for any thirteen year old. They shouldn't even be here. They should have been playing outside with their friends, or have fun. Not run away from bloodthirsty monsters and gods.

"Hey, Perce." Melanie stood in front of him and closed his hand with the pearls. He looked up. Dark circles under his eyes. "You're right, we shouldn't think negative. We'll make it, it's easy. We go inside, we confront the thief, we get your mum and we go back. Happy after, right? Sometimes plans can go according to the plan, Maybe we deserve something good now."