Eight: good luck, may the best charioteer win

burning with rage

burning with rage.

the eight of June

TIM.

I couldn't believe that we were already in trouble after being away from camp for two days. My eyes searched around the small shed where we were spending the night. Ava was sitting near the entrance with her bow in her hand, busy watching the forest for any danger. Justin was sound asleep next to me.

My body tensed as I stretched myself out and made my way towards Ava. She looked up. "Morning, did you sleep well?" Her voice was a little drowsy. "Yeah, did anything happen while we were asleep?"

She shrugged. "No, the Vrykolakai are still near the edge." I sat down next to her and looked out the door. Indeed, the dozen zombies stood guard in front of the village that was crowded with all sorts of monsters. Hellhounds, Empousia, Stymphalian Birds and Telekhines.

It was our job to sabotage the army of Kronos. They weren't attacking the camp yet with full forces, but those bulls came from the village. The question was: how the fuck are we going to do this?

"Did you spot any weaknesses yet?" I asked her. Justin stirred and I knew it wasn't long before he completely awoke. Ava shook her head. "It's a pretty solid defense, but..." She gave me a look, hinting I'd probably not like what she was going to say. "But?"

She smiled without much joy. "The sewers."

I stared at her blankly. "You're kidding."

"I'm dead serious."

I nudged Justin, who groaned. "Wake up," I hissed in his ear, making him shoot straight up. "What?" He said in a drowsy voice.

I grinned at him. "You're gonna love Ava for her plan."

He didn't love the plan.

~~

MELANIE

stared at Percy and Annabeth, who were processing the information she just told them about Grover. They were standing in front of the grassy racetrack with hints of the morning dawn displayed onto it. Millions of birds were cackling in the tree, they made weird ear-screeching sounds that made her skin crawl uncomfortably.

There were rows of stone steps for the spectators— Tantalus, the satyrs, a few dryads, and all of the campers who weren't participating. Mr. D didn't show. He never got up before ten o'clock.

Which Melanie thought was a completely valid reason.

Annabeth spoke up. "You're just trying to distract me." Melanie sighed. "Please, I think Grover's death is not worth being addressed as a distraction." Percy nodded in agreement. "Yeah, I had similar dreams."

The blonde didn't look so convinced by the pair. "An empathy link is so hard to do. I mean, it's more likely you really both were dreaming." Melanie scoffed. "Please, my normal dreams are far more interesting than a Satyr in a bridal gown."