Chapter 3

Monie

My alarm went off letting me know it was time to get ready for work. Ashton was still sound asleep so I didn't want to wake him.

I took my shower, brushed my teeth moisturized my skin, fix my hair , got dressed and began breakfast since I know he'll be hungry once he wakes up.

After college I moved back to Chicago, sold my penthouse and we brought a house together. It was honestly the best decision we've made.

"Good morning my lovely fiancée." He said kissing my cheek.

"Baby we have been engaged for a year now you're not tired of hearing that?" I laughed.

"Nope!" I answered popping the "p"

"You know what I'm craving?" I asked.

"Hm?"He replied taking a bit of his eggs.

"Reese's cups!" I smiled big.

"Baby I brought you a big bag two weeks ago... it's gone?" He asked semi shocked.

"Yep I tore em up!" I smiled.

"I'll buy you some more after work. I was going to grab two bags but I went against it. I bet you I'll never do that again. Always go with your gut." He laughed.

"On God. Especially with me." I smiled.

...

Pulling into the parking lot at work I took a long sigh. I knew this only meant I would spend the next 12 hours hearing call lights, yelling about Med pass and CNA's fussing about our scheduler Lacey. She leaves a bad taste in everyone's month.

"Good morning Monie!" The Director of Nursing greeted.

"Good Morning Sophia." I smiled clocking in.

The first thing I do after clocking in is use the bathroom and scrubbing my hands really good. Our nursing home is seriously bad with cases of COVID. We always seem to have a case no matter what.

"Nurse Patterson, can I have my meds now?" My resident asked as she walked towards the nurses station.

"Mrs. Wilkerson your meds aren't due until 7am. It's only 6:15am. Please wait a while." I reassured her.

She gave me a small nod then of course left the nurses station. As I was chatting I realized my favorite CNA hasn't shown up yet.

"Bianca where is Passion?" I asked as she walked into the nurses station.

"She called off. She sounds so sick. But you know Lacey made her find her own coverage." She explained.

"That bitch doesn't do a damn thing and honestly I'm sick of it. If someone is sick why the fuck is it up to that person to find coverage? At that point they may as well just come in that's enough work as it is. That's Lacey's job." I fussed.

"I know but you know how she is. DON Is trying her best to get Lacey out of here." She sighed.

"Well she needs to try harder." I continued to fuss.

...

The time was now 5:35pm. I get off at 6pm so I was super excited. My back was hurting and if I heard one more call light I was going to lose it.

"Hey how you doin?" Our bus driver asked us coming towards the nurses station.

"We're good." Bianca smiled.

"So how's that baby of yours?" He asked her.

"Okay, getting on my nerves." She laughed.

Although she was  crazy as hell Bianca is pretty chill at work. We were young then, we have newer things to worry about now. She better not cross that line again with my best friend.

"Maybe I can take you out on a date sometime." He suggested.

"I would like that." She smiled.

"Let me go and pass my meds I will leave y'all to it." I laughed.

...

"Baby my back and feets are killing me." I complained.

I just got home, I had my shower, cooked dinner so now we were just laying in bed talking about our day.

"Let me rub them cmere." I grinned.

"So I had a client today facing heavy chargers... baby it's Randy Washington." He sighed.

"Wait baby wait! What do you mean?!" I panicked.

"Calm down baby. I turned him down. I don't know if he forgot that Iceland is my niece as well. But either way he's still awaiting trial. He fried his old lawyer so now he's looking for a new one." He explained.

"I gotta go." I sighed getting up to put my clothes on.

"Whea you going?" He asked sort of pissed.

"To Isaiah's and Za'ir's." I mumbled grabbing my car keys.

...

" you think he gone sing?" Isaiah asked as he, Za'ir and Zaviers sat at the table.

"I don't know. But Ashton told me he was trying to fight it. The way I see it, it's him against the world." I sighed.

"Look how can the courts even think about arresting you two. You have zero connections to Randy only Jacob." Za'ir fussed.

"We street niggas baby. They not gone put that shit passed us." Isaiah explained.

"We're fucked." She sighed.

"No we're not. He's not going to sing. Let Ashton know wassup. Tell him to take the case." Isaiah instructed.

"Okay I will. This shit is so crazy." I sighed.

"Facts I need a blunt. I thought the plan would work." Zavier chimed in.

"Technically it did. Regardless of the fact that even if he gets a good lawyer he's going to eat them charges." Za'ir reassured.

"Look y'all I have work in the morning I just wanted to talk to you guys face to face and not over the phone." I yawned before standing up.

"Okay, right on sis let me walk you out." Isaiah offered getting out of his chair.

"Thank you bub." I smiled.

Once we were outside he took a long sigh.

"If I do end up in this case watch over Za'ir and Iceland for me." He instructed with almost tears in his eyes.

"You're not going to do any time. You know we got this. We always do. You did what was right for your family. Mr. Jacob should be more than appreciative." I reassured him.

"He is. He sends money every week. I know I didn't shoot the man but I was behind most of it. Look I'm going to go spark up before I go crazy. I love you be safe lil girl." He dismissed the conversation before he began to get too emotional

It seems like once everything cools down all hell breaks loose. If Randy doesn't eat those charges one of the boys might have to...